Kitchen Aid Washing Machine Agitator doesn't move - need help!

Hi, My top loading kitchen aid washing machine is probably 5 -8 years old, don't know for sure, it came with the house. I think an overly large and tangled load of clothes broke the machine. The agitator doesn't spin anymore and the entire chamber doesn't spin for drying. I hear the motor going but it doesn't sound right. The cycles advance fine and the water fills and empties. My guess is that the gears broke. How do I confirm the problem and where can I order parts? Thanks.

Reply to
Sir.M.Messervy

I would unhook it, turn it around, get some good lighting and see if you can spot anything odd. Maybe a belt broke, shook loose. Don't know if there even is a belt but have a look.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Hi meat I've opened it up and unfortunately there are no apparent belts nor do I see any moving disks, they might be inside an enclosure. Anyone familiar with Kitchen aid layout? Anyone know where to get parts for Kitchen aid?

Reply to
Sir.M.Messervy

see:

buffalobill

That's a direct drive machine ala Whirlpool. There is a connector between the motor shaft and the transmission shaft that is designed to shear if something binds up the agitator or drum to prevent motor or transmission damage. There are two thumb clamps that you pop off to remove the water pump. Then remove four more thumb clamps to release the motor (also unplug the motor electrical connector). Should be able to pull motor off and see the connector. The part is a standard Whirlpool part and should be available at any parts house or small appliance repair shop.

Tom G

Reply to
Tom G