Kind of off topic Junk mail

Won't do any good. Postal regulations require the immediate disposal of undeliverable "Standard Mail" (nee "bulk"). It doesn't get returned to the sender. The only way to stop it is to call the sender and ask, pretty-please, to be removed from their list.

Oh, another way is to submit a Change of Address to the post office in your sister's name.

Reply to
HeyBub

My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get her mail.

I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she wants me to save it for her.

Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff and marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.

I also went online and found this:

In the next month, I am going to try to stop everything I get, unwanted, in the mail too.

I already called 1-888-5 OPT OUT

It was actually one of the few times I have been able to call, and be helped, without having to talk to someone. :)

Reply to
metspitzer

"HeyBub" wrote in news:8qSdndJOb-tbdPbVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I Return to sender all the time. Let the post office go thru the hassle. I get rid of it w/o having to drag the recycle box to the street with so much junk mail. I can fit more glass and plastic in there now.

Reply to
FlavorFlav

You don't have to ask. You can tell.

United States Postal Service Form 1500.

Mike Paulsen

Now that I read Mike's post his is definitely the way to go.

What I have done in the past is take the time to open the envelope find the reply envelope and stuff everything in that envelope and mail it back to them. The recepient (of the reply) has to pay the post office for every envelope they get back. Since most of them get returned first class it will cost them more to pay for getting their own junk back than it did for them to print and mail it to you.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Get a wood stove.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Mike Paulsen wrote in news:6WUak.35$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.lga:

I didn't read the whole 5 page thing but that appears to be for sexually oriented advertisements only.

Reply to
Red Green

(snip)

"...case law to allow the recipient to declare any mailpiece obscene, for any reason whatsoever, with no requirement to state the reason(s) for taking offense."

"Rulings have upheld the Supreme Court decision that the postal customer's discretion is not subject to review."

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

Urban legend has it that people would tape the envelope to a brick and mail it and they would have to pay return postage on that....

Some companies now print the recipients name and other info, sometimes even in barcode format, on the return envelope. Not sure what they are going to do with the info, but it makes me nervous. Cutting out the info is a lot of work. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

But what do you use to heat your house now?

Reply to
Bob F

Wow! If they can figure out who returned their own junk they might do something drastic? Like take you off their mailing list maybe. Why hide?

Reply to
Bob F

Mike Paulsen wrote in news:u6Xak.802$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.lga:

Oh yea, Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's phrase "I know it when I see it".

Reply to
Red Green

the point is to put everything in the return envelope includung your name & address.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

One comment about junk mail. Sometimes it's the only mail I get, and it provides a valuable service. It lets you know the mail carrier has gone, and there's no need to continue checking.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'm getting a lot of political junk mail addressed to my father. That's strange considering he died 16 years ago and NEVER got mail at this address (it's a house I bought 10 years ago. I didn't live here before than, and my father didn't either).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

It makes it harder to donate anonymously. I usually try to do this, so as not to "invite" more junk mail and junk phone calls (that actually make me LESS likely to give them any more).

BTW, I'm on that national "do not call" list, but there's plenty of exceptions (like all laws have).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Don't tell me that you are in one of those few jurisdictions where dead people don't vote?

Seriously, when you do one of those postal change of address forms indicating that all mail should be forwarded, junk mailers get that information and update everyone's mailing address, whether living there currently, living there ever, or living at all. I receive credit card solicitations for a sibling that has never lived at this home, my last one, or the one before that.

Reply to
M Q

Mark Lloyd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe you should contact the sender/organization and ask where they got the name from to send info to. If it's a voter registration list, I'd look into it. Someone may have picked up his identity for themself. SSN's used to become public record after X number of years after death. People who want a clean ID at one time would search death records and take it from there.

Reply to
Red Green

"HeyBub" wrote in news:8qSdndJOb-tbdPbVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I just got this in my email today

Stop junk mail for 5 years. There is a fee.

I subscribe to this newsletter:

FlavorFlav

I don't know much about this, but I ddon't think they return bulk mail to sender.

Try

. That's all it does is, somehow, cancel catalogs. I don't know how well it works but WAMU radio or maybe it's WYPR has frequent ads for it. It's free, but iirc they appreciate contributions. But since it's free, you can wait and see how well it works.

Reply to
mm