Kind of off topic Junk mail

My sister and her two kids lived with me at one time. I still get her mail.
I save a mound of it and take it with me when I visit her. Most of the mail is from catalogs, but since she is a junk gift addict, she wants me to save it for her.
Well yesterday I said.....forget this. I took a pile of the stuff and marked "return to sender" and put it in the mail box.
I also went online and found this: http://www.obviously.com/junkmail /
In the next month, I am going to try to stop everything I get, unwanted, in the mail too.
I already called 1-888-5 OPT OUT
It was actually one of the few times I have been able to call, and be helped, without having to talk to someone. :)
metspitzer wrote:

Won't do any good. Postal regulations require the immediate disposal of undeliverable "Standard Mail" (nee "bulk"). It doesn't get returned to the sender. The only way to stop it is to call the sender and ask, pretty-please, to be removed from their list.
Oh, another way is to submit a Change of Address to the post office in your sister's name.

I Return to sender all the time. Let the post office go thru the hassle. I get rid of it w/o having to drag the recycle box to the street with so much junk mail. I can fit more glass and plastic in there now.

But what do you use to heat your house now?
HeyBub wrote:

You don't have to ask. You can tell.
United States Postal Service Form 1500. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

I didn't read the whole 5 page thing but that appears to be for sexually oriented advertisements only.
Red Green wrote:
(snip)

"...case law to allow the recipient to declare any mailpiece obscene, for any reason whatsoever, with no requirement to state the reason(s) for taking offense."
"Rulings have upheld the Supreme Court decision that the postal customer's discretion is not subject to review."

Oh yea, Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's phrase "I know it when I see it".

I'm getting a lot of political junk mail addressed to my father. That's strange considering he died 16 years ago and NEVER got mail at this address (it's a house I bought 10 years ago. I didn't live here before than, and my father didn't either).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Don't tell me that you are in one of those few jurisdictions where dead people don't vote?
Seriously, when you do one of those postal change of address forms indicating that all mail should be forwarded, junk mailers get that information and update everyone's mailing address, whether living there currently, living there ever, or living at all. I receive credit card solicitations for a sibling that has never lived at this home, my last one, or the one before that.

Maybe you should contact the sender/organization and ask where they got the name from to send info to. If it's a voter registration list, I'd look into it. Someone may have picked up his identity for themself. SSN's used to become public record after X number of years after death. People who want a clean ID at one time would search death records and take it from there.

I just got this in my email today
http://www.41pounds.org /
Stop junk mail for 5 years. There is a fee.
I subscribe to this newsletter: http://www.greenrightnow.com /

Now that I read Mike's post his is definitely the way to go.
What I have done in the past is take the time to open the envelope find the reply envelope and stuff everything in that envelope and mail it back to them. The recepient (of the reply) has to pay the post office for every envelope they get back. Since most of them get returned first class it will cost them more to pay for getting their own junk back than it did for them to print and mail it to you.
Limp Arbor wrote:

Urban legend has it that people would tape the envelope to a brick and mail it and they would have to pay return postage on that....
Some companies now print the recipients name and other info, sometimes even in barcode format, on the return envelope. Not sure what they are going to do with the info, but it makes me nervous. Cutting out the info is a lot of work. Kevin

Wow! If they can figure out who returned their own junk they might do something drastic? Like take you off their mailing list maybe. Why hide?

the point is to put everything in the return envelope includung your name & address.
[snip]

It makes it harder to donate anonymously. I usually try to do this, so as not to "invite" more junk mail and junk phone calls (that actually make me LESS likely to give them any more).
BTW, I'm on that national "do not call" list, but there's plenty of exceptions (like all laws have).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
metspitzer wrote:

Get a wood stove.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

One comment about junk mail. Sometimes it's the only mail I get, and it provides a valuable service. It lets you know the mail carrier has gone, and there's no need to continue checking.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I don't know much about this, but I ddon't think they return bulk mail to sender.
Try http://catalogchoice.org . That's all it does is, somehow, cancel catalogs. I don't know how well it works but WAMU radio or maybe it's WYPR has frequent ads for it. It's free, but iirc they appreciate contributions. But since it's free, you can wait and see how well it works.