Kilz Primer Quality Degradation?

I've been using Kilz for years but I've noticed something. The timing seems to be around the first of the year...during the financial crisis...when everybody and their mother's uncle was jacking up prices, cutting product sizes and whatever else to make up for people cutting back on spending. Bastards took the King Size Snicker bar, split it into two pieces and the overall net weight was smaller.

Bought a gal back some. Had it shaken on the machine. Two days later I opened it to use. Top was damn water. That NEVER happened before. I brought the shit back. Got another can. Had it shaken and used right afterwards. The shit dripped from the brush and surface. That NEVER happened before. It used to be really thick. I've bought a couple of cans at various times since. Same thing.

Someone posted something about Kilz once that it was loaded with solids. I bought that statement because after putting it on something it pretty much had a light roughness. If I wanted a smooth topcoat I would run a sanding sponge over it quickly. Seems now that may not be the case. So to me it seems they jacked up the price and severely cut the quality.

Just my perception, Red...

Reply to
Red Green

Well there are two different "quality" tiers to kilz primer, maybe they are marketing the good old stuff as "kilz premium" and thinning it out for the non-premium so you can save five bucks a gallon.

I just picked up a can of the premium for twenty bucks, which is about what I would expect to pay for a gallon of the stuff; the other formulation seemed too low in price.

I'm slathering some on today (fascia boards getting prepped for vinyl gutters) which was mixed at HD a few days ago, so I'll report back if I have any issues with it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

"Jon Danniken" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Used to be able to get a 2gal bucket at HD for like 21 bucks...the old thick stuff. Now you gotta pay extra for the old shit called Premium which is just another method of jacking the shit of prices.

Reply to
Red Green

So I did my painting today, slathered on too thick of a coat with a cheap $0.89 four inch brush from Horrible Freight.

The results were no drips and no runs, and after it quickly dried, I can see no brush marks.

The quality was as I remember it to be (before they called it "premium"), and after sitting for three days it did not need remixing.

My guess is that you either got a bad batch, or the "non premium" variety is utter crap, or a combination thereof.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

"Jon Danniken" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Since I bought and took notice of multiple purchases, of which two were a time span of 6 wks apart, I'd say the regular Kilz2 is now crap. They've basically jacked the price of a gallon of the old Kilz2 up about 7 bucks and justified that by calling it Premium.

Reply to
Red Green