Kilz paint is Great!

I saw Consumer report magazine rates Kilz highly on the 3rd spot in an issue in Sept 2004 (I guess).
Therefore, I decided to go with Kilz instead of Behr. Since then, I have painted over 4 large rooms using Kilz, and the results is pleasantly good. I really just need one coat of paint (light-taupe, light-yellow, and cream-light-pink) to cover my walls where there were a few spots of dirt-brown , and dark brown due to metal scratches.
Due to an offer by American Traditions (AT) in summer 2004, I bought 5 gallons of variety of AT interior paints, mainly light colors as well. I recently tried one cream orange on 2 parts of my wall, and I was disappoited that it was sooo dilute. I really need to paint my interior wall twice to get the full color. Also, part of the walls have primer on; AT really needs 2 coat so that the primer will not bleed through. However, by using Kilz, I just need 1 coat. I painted 2 walls in AT, 2 walls in Kilz.
We have no experience when started painting. Cutting corners is a difficult task for us, especially when using AT, I need to cut the corners twice! Kilz really helps!

who were #1. and #2.?

interestingly, kilz http://www.masco.com/our_companies/masterchem.html and behr http://www.masco.com/our_companies/behr.html are both owned by masco corp, which also owns (see referenced page) http://www.masco.com/our_companies/index.html

--WebTV-Mail-3476-8318 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
You must have bought that AT at Lowes. I know consumer reports rates it high. But if you must buy a paint there. buy the Premium Olympic. I found the AT very watery also. But to get the best coverage in one coat buy Benjamin Moore. You will pay more but it will last and cover in one coat.
Pat.
--WebTV-Mail-3476-8318 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-3476-8318--
First of all, stop posting in HTML. Second, as usual when it comes to paint, this is ridiculous advice. There is no one brand that by itself is great paint. There is no such thing as Benjamin Moore paint. That is just a company. If you buy paint from them, you have to buy a specific type. BM makes good paint and they make cheap paint, just like all companies (well, I suppose some only make cheap paint.) There are quite a few top paints, and BM is not the only one who makes them, nor are they even necessarily the best.
must have bought that AT at Lowes. I know consumer reports rates it<BR>high. But if you must buy a paint there. buy the Premium Olympic. I<BR>found the AT very watery also. But to get the best coverage<BR>in one coat buy Benjamin Moore. You will pay more but it will last and<BR>cover in one coat.<BR><BR>Pat.<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE><BODYBGCOLOR="WHITE"TEXT="GREEN"></BODY></HTML>
------=
Snort enough of that Stuff and it's likely to make you post amazing testimonials about the Kilz brand.......................LOL That stuff is great unless you have to work the next day..........gives me a pretty good high, then a headache. Only way to get rid of the taste in your mouth, is a good beer............so maybe that Kilz stuff ain't so bad after all................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

"That stuff"? What stuff? Kilz is a brand name, not the name of a specific paint. It all depends on which of their products you use.
jeffc wrote:

Yes, but all most places carry is the mildewcide primer...
MUADIB wrote:

Inadequate ventilation maybe?
Or....check the labels on your computer:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/intel.jpg
Jeff (Just kidding...)
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
LOL!

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
Kilz is a primer, not a paint. And the Behr primer would have done just as well given your description of the job. You've just discovered why primer is a smart idea on most paint jobs though. BTW...Behr paint is the #1 rated interior paint by Consumer Reports.

curmudgeon wrote:

The most significant point that could be made of the thread back to OP...

I think that depends on which type of paint and which issue/trial, doesn't it? I've seen many different ones and a year later the same paints are ranked differently (sometimes quite a bit different)....
That said, I've just finished (well I'm not actually finished) using about 80 gal of Behr exterior high gloss and am pretty pleased at least so far...we'll see how it holds up, but it went on and covered well...
Kilz now makes paint too..... not just primer.

Not suprising. Behr *used* to make good paint before they became the flagship paint of HD.
George wrote:

As noted in another posting, the ratings in CR have varied <widely> among the <same> manufactuers depending on the particular paint and year of test...my conclusion has been that either all the paints change rapidly or (more likely, imo) the test judging criteria are more variable.
In general, CR tests seem to me to be weighted heavily to subjective measures and are not particularly in consonance w/ my own experience/opinions of specific products.
In looking at data from various manufactuers while evaluating paints for the barn (I don't want to do this again in my lifetime), I came to the conclusion that for solids content, etc., there is little to choose from amongst the major players w/ equivalent quality (read price point) paints...I ended up w/ Behr for one primary reason--the margin in paint is so narrow the only other distributor locally is Sherwin Williams and I have <not> been partiularly pleased with the S-W paints I've used nor that Dad had used when he last had the house and other outbuildings painted. While not all the paint's fault (the prep work was poor at best), what I've used has been much more difficult to apply and cover than other. We've now used 60 of the 80 gal. of Behr exterior and it has gone on and covered well. It's only been a few months so far, so we've yet to see how well it actually holds up to the heavy UV and wind/sand blasting we get...
We'll have a pretty decent comparison because I did use S-W on the shop building and the house before the barn because it wasn't such a large volume to make it worth the 60 mile drive to HD for the (roughly 10%) price break.
IM(NS)HO, YMMV, $0.02, etc....