Kilz-2 exterior paint?

I'm going to re-paint a white wooden building which badly needs re- painting. I've had good luck with Kilz white interior paint coverage. Any comments on using Kilz-2 for exterior? Long-lasting? Good coverage? Maybe I can get by with one coat?

TIA

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Its good stuff. Use it all the time. One coat should work,but that remains to be seen. Only you will know that.

Reply to
evodawg

Old fashion oil is still the best for bare wood primer, years ago I used Kils labeled exterior also, it failed in 6 months, the rep would do nothing on backing it up. Sherwin Williams has many times backed their warranty for me.

Reply to
ransley

On 5/4/2008 10:48 AM Ken spake thus:

I've been using Kilz (we're talking about primer here, right?) for years, but a local painting contractor tells me that, basically, it's shit. At least the latex stuff. He uses a good-quality oil-based primer, which is what I'm going to start using from now on.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

wow. I have been using it for 3 years at least and not had a problem with it. Guess I'll have to look for another product. Then again I'm not a pro painter.

Reply to
evodawg

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:481e4b6f$0$11163$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

I've been using Kilz for years, too; and I'm also a painter. It works fine, especially for filling grain on wood that's to be painted. Put it on, sand it down, repeat.

Everybody has his favorite product. I just tried some white-pigmented shellac as a primer/sealer as recommended by lots of woodworkers. I found it _must_ be sprayed to get a smooth coat. I prefer to brush. Oh well.

Lots of painters swear by oil-based paint, but I find the high quality water-based products do just as good a job most of the time, and the cleanup is in the kitchen sink. Preparation is very important.

Reply to
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Oil Primer, latex top coats is best.

Reply to
ransley

Steve wrote in news:Xns9A94D58E85D6D184365720018436572@66.250.146.128:

And 75% of the job sometimes. And if you don't do the 75 the 25 comes out like shit.

This HUD Wreck I'm doing the outside on now has siding that has not been painted in a loooong time. 3/4 of it has to be scraped and wire brushed. That's done. Now priming...with tinted Kilz-2. Then paint.

Reply to
Red Green