killing pigeons

Page 3 of 3
cm wrote:

Invite them over to watch Steel Magnolias.
he he he
cm

replying to cm, skpodd wrote:

Most birds do not eat rice, hungry or not, so ignore the junk you see below about that. Don't use poison (or anti-freeze) because of the risk to the environment and other wildlife. If your problem pigeons are in a flock of about 20 birds, get them to feed in an area of easy access. Then, throw a net over them. Best way to do that is to 'eject' the net or leverage the throw because the birds will fly off if you get too close or throw the net too slowly. There is a device that flings a net over a small area but I have not seen one around my area. By netting you will definitely get a few. Next, club them with a stick or 2x4. Collect the bodies in garbage bag and throw in a dumpster. Or, if the target area is less than 50 yards from the nearest home then shoot them with a BB gun. My experience is that if the birds don't hear the 'pop' of the gun, 3 or 4 will lay dead or even flop a little before the rest get a clue and fly off. The problem with raptors is that the trainers/falconers are not plentiful or don't live in your area and are expensive and require multiple visits, and the raptors don't kill all the pigeons, far from it. Having a owl figurine or two on your fence post doesn't work. Pigeons get wise to it after a fashion. Crows ignore it. But, many people use these. It seem pigeons can be both stupid and dumb - some methods to get rid of them work well and others not so well or not at all. Try different methods, use your imagination. I once saw a man reach down and grab a pigeon feeding at his feet. He then stood up with a windup throw and slammed the pigeon to the ground instantly killing it. The other pigeons stayed away for days or weeks.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 06:44:02 -0700, skpodd

If pigeons, open season, but 'doves' might be protected.
If a few nuisance, on around your house, destroy the perching places. Use "hot feet" and paint the areas they stand on/perch on. Burns their feet, they leave. If can't do that, and the birds are on/around your house, THIS IS ILLEGAL, get a six foot long STRAIGHT piece of metal conduit and smooth the inside of each end. Take 8 up to 16 penny nails and wrap a paper cone around the head, tape with scotch tape. then cut the cones to just fit inside conduit tube. I found it easier to make the cones, then push the nail into them. Depending on your ability, you'll quickly learn to use the blow gun. Killing power is awesome. Will penetrate a metal garbage can.
If you miss a shot, no big deal, retrieve the nail stuck in your house, better than a bullet hole. And makes much less noise early in the morning.
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:31:00 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:

ling power is awesome. Will penetrate a metal garbage can. If you miss a sh ot, no big deal, retrieve the nail stuck in your house, better than a bulle t hole. And makes much less noise early in the morning.
I have done this. The power is amazing. I used drywall screws and electrica l twist caps. 2 rounds of tape to seal it.
On 8/13/2014 1:47 PM, Thomas wrote:

Can you use air compressor and quarter turn valve for motive force?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On a related note... the seals inside the wheel cylinders on Chrylser 9" drum brakes are a perfect fit inside 1" PVC electrical conduit. With a 10d nail pushed through the center of a seal, even a three-foot length of conduit makes an awesome blow gun -- and you'd be surprised how quickly you can become quite proficient at hitting a target with it.
On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 21:32:43 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

PLONK
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

But is not against any religion, to want to dispose of a pigeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

but what they conceal is vital."