Killing Driveway Moss / Algae ?

Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Driveway (Asphalt) is heavily covered with Green Moss (or is it Algae, or...) which is very hard to remove.

Scraping (just too hard, and too much of) does remove it, but surprisingly a concentrated bath of Chlorox doesn't seem to kill it.

Might someone suggest a Commercial product that I can spray on it, that really works, to truly kill this stuff off, without poisoning the whole neighborhood ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Did you try powerwashing it? That has always taken off any algae that I've encountred.

Reply to
trader_4

I've found a strong dose of Vinegar will kill it off over a couple of days. I buy a gallon of cheap vinegar at the grocery store and just pour it onto the moss.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

My favorite is ammonia, but that's for actual algae. It will turn the algae to much and you can hose if off. If it's really moss that can be scraped off (which has some height and a root system) then it's easier just to scrape it off.

Reply to
Mayayana

DAGS!

Stormin Mormon

on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 15:39:32 -0400, Bob

Well, speaking of moss/algea . . . how can one kill/remove the lichen that grows on the driveway and the trees? It seems like each year there is more and more of it.

Any ideas chemically prior to power washing?

Thanks

Reply to
BobMCT

Go to Home Depot and rent an electric floor stripping machine for taking floor tiles off of concrete floors.

In an hour you'll have all the moss/algae off so that you can shovel it into your garbage can(s).

'Roberts, 1 HP, 120 Volt Floor Stripper Machine with 2 Double Edge Blades-DISCONTINUED, 10-475 at The Home Depot - Mobile'

The electric floor strippers that Home Depot rents might be different, but any floor stripper designed to strip vinyl tiles off of concrete floors will make short work of moss on a drive way.

If your local Home Depot doesn't rent a machine like this, phone up any retail flooring or carpet store and ask to talk to the Installations Manager. Ask him who sells flooring installation supplies in your area. That store will almost certainly rent electric floor strippers like the one above. There will be a damage depost you'll have to pay, but the only thing that's likely to be damaged are the blades and possibly some chipping of your asphalt driveway. That doesn't really matter since your asphalt is probably at least 3 inches thick and you have to repave it every 30 or 40 years anyhow.

Reply to
nestork