killing a tree

Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height, and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore. It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can I do to kill it? should I drill holes in the top and pour shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often? Do they make some sort of object to drive into the stump that I can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be appreciated. thank you
nefletch wrote:

Simply girdle it.

dpb wrote:

He can't. The fence he's reaching over is 5' high.
Just leave it alone except for cutting off any growth that appears.

I had a rotten neighbor like him. The guy killed a 50 foot tree (not saying here how it was done). Then the slightest wind came along and the tree's roots were dead so the tree fell over into my other neighbor's yard. It could have killed somebody. Luckily it fell into an empty area, and away from the power lines. Then I had to pay lots of money for a tree service to take it away. I was on disability at the time and had a bad time coming up with the money. I wish the tree fell on the asshole who killed the tree.

well twiddle dee and dwidle dumb, the tree is on my property, and does not involve a neighbor. It is just in an area where it will take a lot of work , I don't want to do, to dig it up......of course, I did ask for intelligent answers, but I see you could not resist responding anyway
nefletch wrote:

You must be new here, huh? With an post like yours, of course people are going to try and read between the lines and assume stuff. That is what we do here.
-- aem sends....
aemeijers wrote:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT???
Just kidding. ;-)
Tony
HeyBub wrote:

Where does it say anything about a fence?
And if it were on the other side of a property fence, he's already trespassed...
dpb wrote:

Or diaper it.

Not sure from your post. Can you cut it to ground level?
If yes simply cut it down and apply a liberal portion of brush killer directly from the bottle to the stump. Apply immediately after cutting for best results. Mix 50/50 brush killer and diesel fuel for faster surer results.
Can't cut it down for some reason? Strip the bark all the way around base and apply the brush killer to that area.
I would not girdle it with wire as someone will ruin a chain saw blade in the future cutting it down. And to be honest that does not always work with the vigorous growers.
Colbyt

Don't allow it to leaf out. Without leaves the tree can not make food and will die. I have not tried it, but but you could drive copper nails into the trunk.

A friend had done this in his yard. He uses the "stumps" as bases for bird feeders

Some trees will die off just because you ve cut off the top..others like Willows will re-sprout.
If its that type, I'd drill the holes as you've said and pour the Equivalent of 41% RoundUp into the holes..You can get it for less than half of the Brand Name price at WalMart under the name "Eliminator" in quarts for about $ 15.00

maybe if you covered the 5' stump with a contractor trash bag or tarp to put it in the dark? if this works it's probably the least expense and harm to your yard. i would ask a local landscaping nursery for the best advice in your zipcode's climate, and it could help to identify the species to them, perhaps take a leaf for identification. it appears upon researching this, that some species of trees can be a nuisance to other plants when used on one continent but a welcome species elsewhere. for example see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarisk#Tamarix_in_North_America
In article

I once had a problem with 3 needle palms planted in a narrow area behind a garage. They had gotten out of hand and were growing up into the utility lines above.
I cut them down low as I could several times, but they kept rapidly sprouting back. I piled rock salt on top of the three, but amazingly it had no effect...
Next I 'roughed' up the top of each stump and poured about a quart of automatic transmission fluid over each... it rapidly stopped them cold in their tracks.
As always, your mileage may vary.
Good Luck!
Erik
nefletch wrote:

Just keep cutting the new growth every couple days and eventually the root system will die. No chemicals needed.
nefletch wrote:

You could whittle a nice statue. Then shellac it.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Totem Pole for midgets. Asphalt the surrounding area and make a basketball court for toddlers. Build a tee-pee around it.
Every time I think of tee-pee, I recall a contest where "Timbuktu" was to be used in a poem:
Me and Tim a hikin' went, Met three girls with a pop-up tent, Since they was three and we was two I bucked one and Timbuktu.

I had a state forester come out to our cabin and he showed us how select trees for removal and those as 'crop trees' - keepers. He came across an invasive called a Tree of Heaven and told us that it had to go if we were smart. It must have been 50' tall. He said that girdling was not the issue nor was cutting. The tree would reflexively send up shoots from every root and force seed pod production. He stated that we needed to use a hatchet and make NON-intersecting, horizontal slashes. Pour in a brush killer at full strength, re-applying weekly (sounds a lot like Colbyt's response!). Ours was a bit of a drive and we couldn't make multiple apps but the tree looked pretty sick in the spring but it was leafing out much better by late spring so we did it again. We will leave the dead snag as habitat for wildlife. Oh yea, had an elderly neighbor who drove 5 copper spikes into a massive sycamore and it didn't even burp.