Killer Cat-Sized Rats Invade Florida

Page 1 of 2
The African rodent known as the Giant Gambian pouch rats, have hit Florida's grassy keys, despite efforts to eradicate them.
<http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/03/27/Killer-Cat-Sized-Rats-Invade-Florida
Yikes

There is NO effort, only dept of wildlife/game control-freaks waving their hands while loudly decrying the problem. There would be NO problem if the state put a bounty on the damn vermin and allowed open season. The damn things would be extinct in a week. But, noooooo! That would be too easy. Friggin' dolts.
nb
--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
notbob wrote:

A great military leader once said: "The penis is mightier than the sword," by which he meant that the enemy can breed faster than you can kill them.
Louisiana has a bounty on nutria tails and no closed season. There are still plenty of nutria.
Since the state is paying out per unit, there is no motive to make them extinct, and shut off the cash flow.
A great military leader once said: "The penis is mightier than the sword," by which he meant that the enemy can breed faster than you can kill them.
Louisiana has a bounty on nutria tails and no closed season. There are still plenty of nutria.

Once when I was a college student, I was taking the #7 train in Queens coming home and around the old Shea Stadium the corner of my eye caught near the edge of a oily small body of water, an animal the size of a large cat. I realized what I saw was I think a water rat (it was no cat) and it was huge. I was probably 50+ feet elevated above the water but it was big enough to catch the corner of my eye so I know it was huge. I never could believe a rat could be so large.... scary.

That oily small body of water is the Flushing River, cleaned up a bit now but probably still polluted enough to mutate a giant rat.

The aforementioned Gambian Pouch rats have been showing up in Brooklyn the last couple years. But that many years ago I'd put my money on a muskrat. 5-6 pounds wouldn't be unheard of- and they are a couple feet long, but *look* bigger.
Jim

I don't think this was a muskrat because it was a lot bigger looking. It was twice or more as round as a cat, longer than a cat and had at least a foot long tail like a rat. It had to be big to catch the corner of my eye so high above and then I did stare straight down at it to try to judge how large before the train moved along. I'm just glad I didn't have to see it face to face.

Big with a tail like a rat is an Opossum.
--
Dan Espen

No, this was much larger. I once had a possum mom and her litter in my garage so I got closeup to them minus the mom. Matter of fact when I had animal control come, he told me the only reason I probably got this close to the little ones was because the mom probably got killed before returning. I remember them snarling at the guy but he had heavy gloves on. Most were in a box except one or two that he had to chase around my garage but he caught them too. I asked what they did with them and he said release them near a river bank. Not sure tho these would make it being so young looking??? Anyway, since I saw possums up close, I know this rat I saw was much larger. It had to be the size of a medium dog at least based on all accounts I can remember sizing it up.

I seem to faintly recall some calling large rats = sewer rats because they eat well and undisturbed in NYC sewers for years. I wish I had taken a picture of it but this was before digital cameras and besides I was a poor college student then in a subway with no reason for a camera.
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:28:37 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
Yea, but most of them live in the Whitehouse and disguise themselves as elephants or donkeys!!!
They really do eat well though!!!!

That's right :-)

There's more than a little irony in the name "Flushing River."
-- Bobby G.
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:19:16 -0400, "Robert Green"

Good Point <g> !!!!
On 3/28/2012 7:21 AM, Doug wrote:

What I thought were big rats turned out to be possums.
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/professional-trapper/howtogetridofopossums.htm
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:20:53 -0400, Frank

See my previous post about possums. Also I may be wrong but I don't think NYC (Queens) has possums but they sure have lots of rats :(
On 3/28/2012 2:57 PM, Doug wrote:

Saw it going through thread after posting. I know I made this mistake when I was younger thinking they were big rats.

-snip-
does the D-Train go to Queens? http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-oppossum-causes-evacuation-on-d-train,0,2828861.story
That's a small-medium sized possum. I've seen them at least twice that size. Corner them and they'll double that.<g>
Jim

Jim I don't remember. I'd have to check a subway map. I was on the #7 IRT subway then which was elevated over the water when I spotted this rodent. BTW, interesting story !! I saw a link to a 3 foot long rat so as everyone can see, I'm not making this stuff up. NYC rats or the like can grow BIG .