Killed my first chipmunk

Page 1 of 3

This is how. I just used a regular old Victor rat snap trap. I slit a dried apricot and slid it on the trip plate and set the trap and put it near the chipmunk hole. Then I sprinkled some dried raisins, cranberries and a cashew around the trip plate and on the ground. That Walmart tropical trail mix is good for this. In one day I had my chipmunk's head squashed in the trap. Amazing!
Van Chocstraw wrote:

I hope that you won't mind if I use your post at a PETA meeting tonight. :-)
Don
IGot2P wrote:

Oh, did I mention that I shot a skunk last week that was digging holes in my lawn? Moles, chipmunks and skunks are gonna die for digging up my lawn. These are pests.

http://www.recipezaar.com/French-Fried-Skunk-75396
Van Chocstraw wrote:

I'll put up with the holes the skunks dig in my yard happily, in exchange for them destroying the damn beehives contained therein for me. Had about 4 colonies a month ago, they dug them all up. I can again mow without cringing.
-- aem sends...
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:16:21 -0400, Van Chocstraw

When chipmunks do over $500 damage under the hood of the wife's car overnight SOMETHING is going to die!!!
Well, 3 got "transported" - if it happens again THEY DIE.
Trap and release is about as effective as moving water from one side of the boat to the other side of the boat.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Releasing within 5 miles buys you about 2 days. Over 10 miles (technically illegal) with a river or two between is more effective.
And in a couple weeks, the folks other side of the river notice the increase in population. And then they start a trap and release program, on the other side of the river.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You don't need to go that far with chipmunks. A few hundred yards should be ample if you use a very large slingshot.

Rivers are 100% effective in other ways, too. Bags + rocks = 100 success rates.
I have ceased war with the chipmunks in my location. There are just too many, and my land abuts public land where they breed like rats. I am going to make some more effective traps to lessen the numbers, but when you get rid of some others just move in. I have more problems from the big rock squirrels we have here.
Steve

I like a 5 bucket with 6inches of water- buried in the ground, cover on. 1 1/2" hole in cover- peanut butter schmeared under cover. Empty as necessary. I've gotten 5-6 overnight.

So how's that propane experiment going? You're still typing. . .
Jim

what you need is some animals that prey on chipmunks. Maybe a family of ferrets,or some hawks.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Try a cat. That's all you need.

I have red tailed hawks, merlins, a bald eagle that spends about three months in winter, and all kinds of other birds that eat chipmunks. I have yet to see them get one.
The other day, a kit fox came in. He was chasing a lizard among some rocks. A roadrunner was less than six feet away, as well as chipmunks and cottontail rabbits. All watching it like an episode of American Gladiators. The fox didn't pay any attention to any of the other animals. Must really like lizards is all I could figure. We have coyotes that come in the yard. Lots of predators, including a fat lazy cat that hunts, but only for fun. She does get lizards and mice, but doesn't seem to mess with the chipmunks. I think she's been bitten, so avoids them. Around here, I would need twelve cats, and feed them nothing so they would hunt. But even then, I don't think they'd keep up with the chipmunk population.
Steve

Or they're easier than the other prey.

ferrets,minks,or similar animals would be able to hunt them even in their burrows.(especially the chipmunk babies!)
is the lizard one of those chuckwallas?
Myself,I would enjoy such a large population of wildlife.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
SteveB wrote:

Check out "Towser," a Guiness Book of Records entrant.
Towser (1963-1987) was, for 23 years, the mouser-in-chief at the Glenturret Distillery in Scotland. During her tenure, she caught and killed 28,899 mice (plus a few random rats, pheasants, and an occasional rabbit). There's a bronze statue of Towser at the distillery entrance.
http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/famous/towser.html

The significant thing for the OP is Towser never stemmed the tide of mice. They were just breeding cat food and the cat wisely never killed so many mice that the breeding population was affected.
HeyBub wrote:

I think HeyBub has a function key programmed with the above paragraph or something. Every single time the topic of rodent control comes up, he posts it like clockwork.....