kill a watt ez

Page 1 of 2

i posted a few days ago regarding my fridaire refrigerator seemed to be running all the time and one of the replies i got suggested buying a kill a watt meter so i got one today and the instructions for calculating costs wants me to input my kilowatt charges so after looking at my latest electric bill i have 3 different charges...power supply energy 457 kwh @0.06726, distribution 457 kwh @0.04195 and energy optimization 457 kwh @0.01081. i am not sure which of these numbers to input into my kill a watt meter...any suggestions? thanks, cj

Add all three as that is what you are paying!!
i am not sure which of these numbers to

Add all three as that is what you are paying!!
I agree. Take the total of the bill divided by KWH used carried to 4 right of the decimal and that is your true cost.
Anything else is just marketing.
--
Colbyt

Call the electric company and have them tell you how much you are ACTUALLY paying per KWH. Be sure to waste their time for at least an hour, having them explain what all these charges mean, and why they cant just give it to you straight. (of course we all know that making it too hard to understand is how many companies rob people). Anyhow, stay on the phone as long as you can, and be sure to cus, whine, be rude, and complain as much as you can. That hour you spend on the phone with them will lilely be the only hour they actually EARNED that week. The rest of the time they sit at their desks playing solitare and trying to devise means to rip off the comsumers even more.

The "straight" cost is always given, as in "$.14 KW/hr" or something like that. The other charges are the fed/state/PUC screw job.
nb

Then that's NOT the straight cost. I dont care if it's taxes or any other added shit. You're paying for it. It's part of the total. You might be paying 14 cents / KWH, but if the other crap adds another 5 cents, your paying 19 cents / KWH. ALL utility companies are CROOKS. They know we must have their services, so they know they can get away with it. Same for gasoline.
My local electric co has spent close to $20 million in the past 2 years, building new office buildings. Now the old buildings sit vacant, and there was nothing wrong with those buildings that a coat of paint could not fix. On top of that, they bitch and moan that we are supposed to conserve energy. Well, if you drive past their office at night the whole buillding is lit up, as well as the parking lot and the whole exterior of the building has flood lights on it, so we can all "admire" their waste of money. And I should note that there is not even one car in their parking lot. No one is there.
I called them on this matter, and was told it's for security. I told them flat out "BULLSHIT". Put a security camera by the entrances and a sensor light. Or hire a guard, which would likely cost much less than the amount of power they are wasting, plus give someone a job.
If I can ever afford it, I'm going to setup solar panels and wind generators, and tell the elec co to shove it.
snipped-for-privacy@noplace.com wrote:

They don't pay for the power.
And even if they did, the cost to generate the power is negligible compared to the cost to distribute, maintain, and account for the power.
We've got an aluminum plant nearby that uses enough power to serve 10,000 homes. But it only takes one wire (well, three) to get it there. Contrast that with 7,000 poles, 5,000 transformers, 10,000 meters (and the reading of them), 10,000 bills sent each month, etc.

In the state I live an aluminum company took over a river and put up dams to produce the power to make the aluminum. About 10 years or so ago they quit making aluminum and just sold the power they were generating. Seems the power was making more profit than the aluminum product.

I have a little experience with business rates. They are far different and in most cases cheaper than residential rates.
Many businesses pay based on a peak demand rate. Off peak is another factor.
We actually lowered the utility bills for an all electric pizza restaurant by switching from regular to peak demand pricing. I mean a big savings.
Think about it. Those generators and wires can only make and carry so much load at one time.
--
Colbyt
snipped-for-privacy@noplace.com wrote: ...

Chuckle...
And there's the bottom line -- you can't do it for less, even for a minimal amount such as a single dwelling.
dpb wrote:

moving energy. For people who want to live 'off the grid', the answer is to minimize how much electricity you need, and do as much as possible via other means. Passive solar, ground thermal, big south windows and Sola tubes for as much 'free' lighting as possible, windmill and water tower to minimize the need for well pump and water heater, etc, etc. Once you get over the front-end costs and the effort to recreate 1930s tech, you can get by with very little 110/220.
It does take a lot more work on a daily basis to exist that way. All that low-tech stuff takes a lot of upkeep. That is the reason electricity caught on so fast- it is so damn convenient.
--
aem sends...

You may be able to do it though with fed and state subsidies kicked in. I'm going to a seminar this week at HD to find out what the current deal is here in NJ. Of course, the problem with the subsidy approach is that to get to any significant replacement of the cheaper conventional energy sources would require a lot of money that even the govts don't have. And the subsidy is coming out of everyone elses pocket, including low income families that are paying for guys like actor Ed Begly to feel good about themselves.

Ohhhh! A seminar at HD. That's sure to get you the best data.

It will get data from at least one company that is actually installing them here in NJ for HD and can give cost data, incentive program data, etc. The solar panels are made by a major company that is selling them around the world.
So, what's your problem and attitude?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote the following:

He's waiting for his local mom and pop hardware store to have a seminar.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On May 23, 5:17pm, snipped-for-privacy@noplace.com wrote:

And it's not just taxes or a fed/state screw job. Just like the OP, my bill has a seperation of the cost of the energy itself from the distribution. At least here in NJ, the PUC has decreed they be seperate. I could choose to buy my electricity from several suppliers and still have the same local electric company deliver it. Both components are substantial. The first pays for the generation of the electricity and the other for the wires, poles, transformers, meters, servicing, etc that delivers it.
Still, it's easy to figure out. In the case of the OP I would add all 3 charges and use that for the killawatt meter. I would not just divide the total bill or add any monthly base fee, ie the $25 or whatever that you pay in some cases no matter how much you use. You want the incremental cost attributed to the refrigerator.

On May 24, 6:33am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

To find actual kwh cost it is what is owed divided by what is used in kwh, right.
ransley wrote:

Well, no. You'll still pay $25 or so per month if you used no electricity. Then there's tax, universal access fee, Spanish American War tax, exise taxes, sales taxes, 911 fee, sewer charges, mosquito control district, and other taxes and fees (I may have some mixed in here that don't really belong, but that's probably just a temporary thing).

My non-KWH-related portion of my monthly electric bill is about $6. (My electric utility is PECO, due to me living in Pennsylvania near Philadelphia).
I subtract that from the total bill, and divide what's left to get my per-KWH cost (nearly 15 cents per KWH, above the USA average of 11 maybe now or soon 12 cents per KWH).

notbob wrote:

Presuming no carry over charges from the previous month or "equal billing" plans, the cost per kWh is the total bill divided by the number of kWh listed for the billing period. It makes absolutely no difference what parts are attributable to generation, transmission, taxes, etc., the total bill divided by kWh is the amount you paid per kWh. Also, do the math yourself, as the "cost per kWh" listed on some utility bills is fraudulently calculated, excluding taxes and fees.