Keypad deadbolt locks info

Can anyone provided feedback on the keypad deadbolt locks for a home. What brand name is better? What names to avoid. Will they working in the winter?

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Murph

For the real skinny, talk to a local locksmith. Some have good lock sets for sale at with decent prices with the advantage of having an expert on your side if there is a glitch. Around here, the pros use Schlage a lot, Kwikset not so much. Look over their stock, ask questions and you'll likely come out ahead $$.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I have been using the Simplex mechanical combo lock since 1971. They work rain or shine and do not depend on a battery.

Reply to
gfretwell

You've gotten good advice so far. Let me add though, that these 3-digit code locks are often very easy to beat in a short time for the right persons. 4 digits is better, the more the better, all in the mechanical arena. In the electronic arena, you then open yourself to devices that can often beat the lock in just a few minutes; In the locked position, most manufacturers I've looked at at least, leave ALL the leads open circuited, meaning electromagnetics can be used to zip thru codes quickly until the right one is found. A good lock costs $$ and needs to be researched. Don't skimp unless all you want is something to keep honest people honest and it's not the only "security" lock on the door. You almost always have at least the doorknob lock too, but adding a deadbolt is a nice touch.

We have a mechanical combo lock. We use it only for quick entry because we don't need to fumble with a key. Anytime it's locked for security, there is another additional dead-bolt lock plus the door knob lock, making the door quite hard to shoulder through should one try. Oh, plus an infrared motion detector.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

I have one of these and love it.

There's a 5 digit code required to unlock the door and a single button to lock it.

Is it infallible? I don't know...but it's better than our old lock which was such a pain that we usually just walked away and left the deadbolt unlocked.

I also have a keypad for my garage door opener which I also love. I haven't carried a house key in 20 years.

I don't understand people that carry around a 5 pound key-mass with 35 keys on multiple rings, 12 shopper's club tags, a flashlight and a 5- in-1 tool.

I carry my key-fob for the remote starter and the ignition key. That's it. Any other keys I need (my trailer, the front door, the back door, my wife's car, etc.) are all under the front seat of my car or I have spares at home. For the rare times I need them, I pull them out. I've never been without what I need, when I needed it, but I don't need to carry them around all the time.

I know guys that carry the keys to their summer cabins, including the lock on the driveway gate, the cabin, the (empty) gun cabinet, etc. It's like they're suddenly going to find themselves 6 hours from home and need to get into the cabin.

Ah, but I digress.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hey! Quit spying on me. I carry all those keys because it's impossible to lose them. If they fall out of my pocket it sounds like the anchor of a battleship slapping the hull.

I was considering a push button lock but the problem is they're pretty easy to overcome by observation and inspection. The frequently used keys show a wear pattern and someone looking over your shoulder can easily see what code you punched in.

I had my telephoto lens with me the other day when we were in line for the drive up teller and it was a piece of cake to see what numbers people punched into the drive up ATM window. There was no shielding of any kind.

If I did go to an electronic front door lock, I'd select one that used a special remote or electronic key. It would be great if I could assign a button on my car key fob to unlock the front door, but I haven't found anything like that yet.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

There's something called a "scramblepad" which uses LED numerical displays behind the keys, so that every time the lock is used, the numbers are in different positions on the pad, so observing wear patterns and finger motion will not help.

As with all such products, they are not cheap.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Oh, just get a subcutaneous transponder chip implanted, and fit the door with a reader, and be done with it.

Reply to
aemeijers

the burglar casing your home its easiest to break one window open it and climb in........

far better than endless screwing around with door locks......

Reply to
hallerb

the feds will be requiring that shortly as positive ID for every american.

no chip detected as you walk by will be cause for futher investigation

as a plus it will make credit, debit, and door locks very convenient

Reply to
hallerb

If you are one of the rare people who is allergic to the implant, you will become a non-person and have to join the anti-government underground group 999 who's members carry out EMP attacks on government ID installations "IDlations" across the country. :-o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Nah, they have alternative versions contained in ear tags and riveted collars. Plus there is always the retro-look ankle style.

Reply to
aemeijers

Bar code tattoo? Back of the neck or forehead? Hey! I know, on your tongue! :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I was going to say on the arm but I suppose everyone will have one of those.

Reply to
krw

There are kids running around with a bar code on the back of their neck like those from the SciFi TV series "Dark Angel". It would so funny if the bar codes they were getting indicated they were trash bags or some feminine hygiene product. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Condoms.

Reply to
krw

I think that "Jennifer Government" predates the TV series but I wouldn't swear to it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel