Kerosene -- is there a "stabil" for kerosene?

Page 2 of 2
On Nov 24, 3:39pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Well, I was thinking about Colin Powell doing his dog and pony show on TV when I wrote that, but you have a point, he was out of the military at that time and was Secretary of State. At any rate, I suppose he, the military, and the CIA were just reporting what they were told to.
Larry W wrote:

George Tenet, head of the CIA, assured Colin Powell of the accuracy of all the "facts". Then the "facts" one-by-one turned into non-facts. But George Tenet got the "Medal of Freedom" from Bush 2. (So did "you're doing a heck of a job, Brownie".)
--
bud--

Mr. Tenant was a holdover from the Clinton Administration. Since his tenure there was distinguished by getting the intelligence that resulted in us bombing a Sudanese Aspirin Factory and the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade, I have no idea why he was still around for the Bush administration to keep him on.
On 11/25/2010 4:10 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Perhaps he had some dirt he threatened to spill and GW was too moral to have him killed. Funny thing, when GW assumed command, the death rate of political figures dropped. :-)
TDD

One power outage every 5-10 years is "unreliable?"
Jeez, I better start packing because my power goes out on average 1 time per year.
Where do you live Andy? I'd like to move in next door and share in that reliable power that never goes out even once in a decade.
From my own experience with storing cans of kerosene long-term in my garage, you can keep them around for at least 10-20 years and it will still be good-as long as it's in a dry environment and in an air-tight container. It's likely that it can stay useable for 100+ years.
Over the years, the color sometimes turn from clear to a bit yellow tinted, but I've never noticed any problems with the burning performance or putting out any off odors.
Also, my only experience applies for K-1 kerosene. I don't know how well the lower grade kerosene stuff (i.e. red dye) holds up.
Angello

David Combs wrote:

tank is 3 years old and still works good; don't use much. Burn wood.
--
LSMFT

David Combs wrote:

I believe K-1 kerosene stores better without treatment than #2 diesel, and #2 diesel does pretty well by itself. Keeping it sealed and water free is the main way to ensure long storage life. A biocide is helpful if there may be some moisture in the fuel that could promote algae/bacteria growth. Power Service Bio Kleen (not to be confused with their Diesel Kleen) is a strong biocide that can give you that extra protection. The cetane boost and anti-gel additives that are available aren't relevant to kerosene or to basic heaters.
On 23 Nov 2010 17:13:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

I've kept kerosene (in a sealed metal tin stored in a tin shed) for over 10 years, and it still works fine in my kerosene lamps and kerosene heaters.
I'd say it is pretty stable just naturally.
Ross
Thanks to all for the experiences and answers.
Looks like stability is no problem, as long as it's kept tightly seled-up.
David
Thanks again!