Kerosene -- is there a "stabil" for kerosene?

Page 1 of 2
For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene heater.
Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.
So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad" after a while?
What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good" for a LONG time?
--

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
On 11/23/2010 4:13 PM, David Combs wrote:

I've never had to store kerosene for a long period so I Goggled it.
http://www.harvestoutfitters.com/products/list/3
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 23, 4:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

You a prepper?
Add pictures here
✖

Is the kerosene being used in a lamp or a heater, as opposed to something else? In both cases, the amount of water that can dissolve in kerosene from exposure to even humid air should not be a problem for the combustion process or in delivery of kerosene from the tank to the burner.

Is your burner the same for the "20 pounder" and the "16 ouncer"? If so, then the 20 pounder should run 20 times as long as the 1 pounder, good for somewhere around 140 hours if the 1 pounder is good for about 7 hours.

✖
On Nov 24, 8:40 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I've been getting some supplies set in for a while now. Going kind of slow at it tho. I would like to learn more about setting up an emergency heat source using propane. What models or types/styles of heaters to get and how to use them safely inside the house. I assume there needs to be some ventilation.
I have a camp stove but I wonder if a propane setup of some sort for cooking if the power goes out would be a good idea.
I have a generator that I could use for short term but gasoline is less dependable for long term power outages.
-C-
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

The 20-lb propane tanks I have are marked (on the tank, not a label) "16.6lb". One came filled with 15lb, the other says 17lb (I think it's either 16.6 or 17).
--
31 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

One of you will be, anyhow.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 23, 7:46 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Don't you have trust in the Lord? (I do...I let Him decide whether I should freeze to death)
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 23, 4:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch electric providers.
Have a great day, Andy
http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional http://www.happynews.com
Add pictures here
✖

Just how do you change electric providers?
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/23/2010 9:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Solar power, electricity from God, geothermal, electricity from The Devil. Perhaps use both with a Yin-Yang distributor to keep good and evil in balance. Get it installed by that little Mexican electrician, Jesus and you're good to go. 8-)
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/23/2010 10:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Before I left PA, we could pick and choose our electricity providers, just like picking our phone company. Problem is it's still the same wires coming to your house.
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Miklos wrote:
[snip]

There might be no difference except in the billing.
BTW, I live in one of the few parts of Texas that doesn't allow choosing electric "suppliers". We also have relatively low rates. Ti's about 10 cents per KWH.
--
31 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).
✖
On 11/24/2010 3:42 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Exactly my point.

In PA with the old "PP&L" (Pennsylvania Power and Light) we had cheap rates, then when the government changed the rules to break up the monopolies it kept going up and up. Here in east TN it's about 11 cents/KWH. I can choose to pay more and 'sponsor' some windmills but I haven't done that yet.
Add pictures here
✖

Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher- ups are saying. Where are any of the electric providers going to get fuel to produce electricity then? Where are you going to get food when the trucks stop running and the grocery shelves are empty?
-C-
Add pictures here
✖

Can you cite your sources on this?
Keep in mind they don't call "military intelligence" an oxymoron for nothing.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 24, 10:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

I almost jumped on that because I remember seeing reports several times over the last few years from the military brass warning about severe oil shortages. But why would I bother if you think Military Intelligence is an oxymoron. That means you are already prepared not to believe it.
Just take a look around. Read the news. Things in the US ain't as stable as they used to be. I hope nothing serious ever happens but if it does I don't want to be sitting around like those people in New Orleans during Katrina waiting for the government to save me.
-C-
Add pictures here
✖
Country wrote:

Electricity generation fuel is a lock. Half of all electricity is generated by coal, none of which is imported and of which we have a 200-year supply on hand. The rest of our electricity is generated by hydroelectric, nuclear, and (mostly) natural gas. We do import a bunch of NG, but we don't need to. We've got oodles of the stuff readily available.
Add pictures here
✖
Smitty Two wrote:

I didn't say there wasn't anything to worry about.
I said we didn't import irreplaceable fuel for electricity generation!
The vast majority of imported oil is used for transportation. We COULD replace oil from problematic states with domestic oil were it not for environmentalist's concerns.
You can't put anthrax in (most) coal mines with any success. Most coal is mined in open pit mines.
Add pictures here
✖

Are these the same military higher-ups who said we would find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?

✖