Kerosene -- is there a "stabil" for kerosene?

For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad" after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good" for a LONG time?

Reply to
David Combs

I've never had to store kerosene for a long period so I Goggled it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You a prepper?

Reply to
Country

Is the kerosene being used in a lamp or a heater, as opposed to something else? In both cases, the amount of water that can dissolve in kerosene from exposure to even humid air should not be a problem for the combustion process or in delivery of kerosene from the tank to the burner.

Is your burner the same for the "20 pounder" and the "16 ouncer"? If so, then the 20 pounder should run 20 times as long as the 1 pounder, good for somewhere around 140 hours if the 1 pounder is good for about 7 hours.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch electric providers.

Have a great day, Andy

Andy

From my own experience with storing cans of kerosene long-term in my garage, you can keep them around for at least 10-20 years and it will still be good-as long as it's in a dry environment and in an air-tight container. It's likely that it can stay useable for 100+ years.

Over the years, the color sometimes turn from clear to a bit yellow tinted, but I've never noticed any problems with the burning performance or putting out any off odors.

Also, my only experience applies for K-1 kerosene. I don't know how well the lower grade kerosene stuff (i.e. red dye) holds up.

Angello

Reply to
Angello Huong

"Andy" wrote

Just how do you change electric providers?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It keeps a long time. I have stored it over 2 years. My fuel oil in my tank is 3 years old and still works good; don't use much. Burn wood.

Reply to
LSMFT

Solar power, electricity from God, geothermal, electricity from The Devil. Perhaps use both with a Yin-Yang distributor to keep good and evil in balance. Get it installed by that little Mexican electrician, Jesus and you're good to go. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I believe K-1 kerosene stores better without treatment than #2 diesel, and #2 diesel does pretty well by itself. Keeping it sealed and water free is the main way to ensure long storage life. A biocide is helpful if there may be some moisture in the fuel that could promote algae/bacteria growth. Power Service Bio Kleen (not to be confused with their Diesel Kleen) is a strong biocide that can give you that extra protection. The cetane boost and anti-gel additives that are available aren't relevant to kerosene or to basic heaters.

Reply to
Pete C.

Don't you have trust in the Lord? (I do...I let Him decide whether I should freeze to death)

Reply to
Bob Villa

Before I left PA, we could pick and choose our electricity providers, just like picking our phone company. Problem is it's still the same wires coming to your house.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I've been getting some supplies set in for a while now. Going kind of slow at it tho. I would like to learn more about setting up an emergency heat source using propane. What models or types/styles of heaters to get and how to use them safely inside the house. I assume there needs to be some ventilation.

I have a camp stove but I wonder if a propane setup of some sort for cooking if the power goes out would be a good idea.

I have a generator that I could use for short term but gasoline is less dependable for long term power outages.

-C-

Reply to
Country

Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher- ups are saying. Where are any of the electric providers going to get fuel to produce electricity then? Where are you going to get food when the trucks stop running and the grocery shelves are empty?

-C-

Reply to
Country

Can you cite your sources on this?

Keep in mind they don't call "military intelligence" an oxymoron for nothing.

Reply to
mkirsch1

One power outage every 5-10 years is "unreliable?"

Jeez, I better start packing because my power goes out on average 1 time per year.

Where do you live Andy? I'd like to move in next door and share in that reliable power that never goes out even once in a decade.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I almost jumped on that because I remember seeing reports several times over the last few years from the military brass warning about severe oil shortages. But why would I bother if you think Military Intelligence is an oxymoron. That means you are already prepared not to believe it.

Just take a look around. Read the news. Things in the US ain't as stable as they used to be. I hope nothing serious ever happens but if it does I don't want to be sitting around like those people in New Orleans during Katrina waiting for the government to save me.

-C-

Reply to
Country
[snip]

The 20-lb propane tanks I have are marked (on the tank, not a label) "16.6lb". One came filled with 15lb, the other says 17lb (I think it's either 16.6 or 17).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

There might be no difference except in the billing.

BTW, I live in one of the few parts of Texas that doesn't allow choosing electric "suppliers". We also have relatively low rates. Ti's about 10 cents per KWH.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Electricity generation fuel is a lock. Half of all electricity is generated by coal, none of which is imported and of which we have a 200-year supply on hand. The rest of our electricity is generated by hydroelectric, nuclear, and (mostly) natural gas. We do import a bunch of NG, but we don't need to. We've got oodles of the stuff readily available.

Reply to
HeyBub