Kerosene in a plastic gasoline can

Page 2 of 4

Some old memory bubbles have popped out saying Magic Slate" maybe. I think I used a Magic Marker on it eventually. Figured they were both magic and I wanted to see magically how this marker that won't come off anything came off my Magic Slate. "Waaaaaahhhhh! Mommy, my Magic Slate is broke. Wahhhhhhh!".
So mom tries to fix it by using fingernail polish remover and the film melts big time.
Guess mom didn't "Know your solvents vs plastics:" and check the the MDS sheet first, ehhh Richard :-)

LOL.
We didn't have Magic Markers when I was that age. I don't think anyone did.

Definitely, mom didn't know that chart.

So I decided I should fill the other container too, but I only labelled one. The guy didn't care at all and he filled both of them.
I ended up at a tool rental place. They sell the kerosene for heaters, and it was 2.89 a gallon from a big tank. And they'll sell as little as the customer wants.
Not 7 dollars a gallon in a pretty plastic bottle.
But it turns our there aren't many places around that sell it. Later I thought I shoudl have gone to my favorite hardware store, and I was there today and they don't sell it. The closest place he could think of was 15 or 20 miles from here, almost in Pennsylvania. So I wasn't a fool for not knowing where to go.
Years ago, I bought a quart can, just to spur the wood fire in the fireplace (using an iron pan with a porous brick in it.) No one seems to sell the quart can anymore, but I also refilled that, again.
On Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:24:00 PM UTC-7, Toller wrote:

in

Yep, easy to mistake:
I heat with wood, cut my own. Went out to burn my brush piles one day, sto pped filled up two cans, gas (for lawn mower) and diesel (to start fires) b oth in red cans but one with big yellow spout.
Fire piles were a bit stubborn starting so I was going back and forth addin g diesel. Toss a bit WHOOSH!. About the third time I looked down and I w as using the gas can and it had a flame flickering at the spout. Slapped m y glove on it, retired to the truck for a cup of coffee while my nerves rec overed.
Diesel is now in a yellow can (as it should have been then).
Harry K
On 1/2/2015 1:41 PM, Harry K wrote:

Years ago we laughed at my uncle that had painted "garbage" on his garbage can.
I guess we would laugh today if he painted "gas" on his gas can ;)

If you have no room for a kero can you just plain have too much shit.
Don't swap them <Period>
There are a bizillion different plastics/properties. Different liquids will eat or not eat away at plastics at a very fast or very slow rate. I'm sure you want gallons of fuel leaking out of a can that "I dunno wha happen. I've been using that can for months. Must be a can defect.".
But why are gas cans red and kero cans blue? Think fireman. So when they go to put out a fire they will know what's in the can from far away without having to go up and sniff your can (no pun intended) or pull out binoculars to read makeshift labels. Then they know what to put on it so they put it out and not spread the flammable.
Sell $10 worth of that useless shit you have on ebay and buy a can. Solves the space problem.
Al Bundy writes:

Don't be silly. If it holds gasoline it will hold kerosene. They're both just petroleum distillates, with gasoline the lighter, more solvent fraction.

I'm confident it would. Just a general statement not to develop a bad habit that could be nasty.
I've seen xylene melt "plastic" on contact before my eyes. I've seen it clean other "plastics" like ammonia on glass. Obviously they were two very different plastics. Long ago but I think one may have been Lexan?
The main point was the firefighter issue.
Al Bundy writes:

Know your solvents vs plastics:
http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/technical_section/chemical_chart_5.asp
Al Bundy wrote:

Gas and Kero are basically the same. The only difference in the cans is the color. Firemen don't care what is in the can. If it is red or blue they will be treating it as highly flammable.
I have three different gas cans. Regular, premium, chainsaw - all are identified with magic marker. I also have my decoy 5 gal. I pity the thief who grabs the first "gas" can he sees. He will get about 4 gallons of diesel, used paint thinner, gas that was used for cleaning parts and some other stuff I forgot. That is my brush pile fire starter.
Harry K

Firemen do care. I was one for a bit. ;-)
Gasoline is far more of a fire hazard than kerosene or diesel, and depending on the circumstances will be treated differently.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:07:18 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Isn't that why in cowboy** movies, a guy on horseback can go into a cabin where no one has been for months, and light the kerosene lantern?
Did they have gasoline in the second half of the 19th century\\? If they did, I think it would be wicked up by the lantern wick and evaporate. Wouldn't be nearly as practical as kerosene for that reason, and I don't think one could safely burn it in a lantern.
**BTW, did you ever notice that there are no movies afaicr with both cowboys and Indians in the same movie. Maybe "cowboy and Indian movies" refers to two kinds.
mm writes:

Correct.
In the 19th century petroleum was distilled for kerosene lamp oil. They threw out the gasoline (!) from the process, as there was no use for it prior to the invention of the internal combustion engine.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Except that gasoline was used for the pump up lanterns. They had mantles instead of wicks and you had to buy white gas as lead would contaminate the mantle. Put out a harsh, bright light.
Using it in an 'oil' lamp would be very dangerous.
Gas was also used in the old blow torches.
Harry K

Heh, back in those days, you just bought "gas".
TEL wasn't added to gasoline until _much_ later - first they had to invent cars.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 02:54:47 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

"Fill it up with ethyl." No one says that anymore. Most don't even know what it means. :(
Harry K writes:

Except they weren't invented until close to the 20th century:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/munwai/history.htm
Richard J Kinch ( snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com) said...

<useless trivia mode> 1911 was the first year that the petroleum industry sold more gasoline than kerosene. </useless trivia mode>
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

They did have gasoline, it was sold in the drugstore as a cleaning agent/solvent.

Ohhhhh, so that was the shit the old man used to drink.
On Monday, August 14, 2006 8:07:18 AM UTC-7, Chris Lewis wrote:

Actually the part you quoted was by Bundy. I did a poor job of editing. Yes firemen care greatly!!
Harry K