Kerosene in a plastic gasoline can

They did have gasoline, it was sold in the drugstore as a cleaning agent/solvent.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Except that gasoline was used for the pump up lanterns. They had mantles instead of wicks and you had to buy white gas as lead would contaminate the mantle. Put out a harsh, bright light.

Using it in an 'oil' lamp would be very dangerous.

Gas was also used in the old blow torches.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

According to Harry K :

Heh, back in those days, you just bought "gas".

TEL wasn't added to gasoline until _much_ later - first they had to invent cars.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

"Fill it up with ethyl." No one says that anymore. Most don't even know what it means. :(

Reply to
mm

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:Y6Cdnb-ePePogHzZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Ohhhhh, so that was the shit the old man used to drink.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Except they weren't invented until close to the 20th century:

Richard J Kinch

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Some old memory bubbles have popped out saying Magic Slate" maybe. I think I used a Magic Marker on it eventually. Figured they were both magic and I wanted to see magically how this marker that won't come off anything came off my Magic Slate. "Waaaaaahhhhh! Mommy, my Magic Slate is broke. Wahhhhhhh!".

So mom tries to fix it by using fingernail polish remover and the film melts big time.

Guess mom didn't "Know your solvents vs plastics:" and check the the MDS sheet first, ehhh Richard :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

LOL.

We didn't have Magic Markers when I was that age. I don't think anyone did.

Definitely, mom didn't know that chart.

So I decided I should fill the other container too, but I only labelled one. The guy didn't care at all and he filled both of them.

I ended up at a tool rental place. They sell the kerosene for heaters, and it was 2.89 a gallon from a big tank. And they'll sell as little as the customer wants.

Not 7 dollars a gallon in a pretty plastic bottle.

But it turns our there aren't many places around that sell it. Later I thought I shoudl have gone to my favorite hardware store, and I was there today and they don't sell it. The closest place he could think of was 15 or 20 miles from here, almost in Pennsylvania. So I wasn't a fool for not knowing where to go.

Years ago, I bought a quart can, just to spur the wood fire in the fireplace (using an iron pan with a porous brick in it.) No one seems to sell the quart can anymore, but I also refilled that, again.

Reply to
mm

1911 was the first year that the petroleum industry sold more gasoline than kerosene.
Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

-------------------------------------

Reply to
MasonJoshua

Kero should go in a blue or gray can. Red is for gas. However, in a bind, you can use a red can without the kero causing the plastic to decay or melt. Gasoline is actually more destructive to plastics than kero. For example, never put gas in a styrofoam cup because the cup will melt in seconds. I have never out kero in a styrofoam cup, and would not recommend it, but I have a feeling it would not melt as quickly.

With that said, it's NOT LEGAL to put Kero in a red can, but if you must do it in an emergency, at least write KEROSENE on the can with a permanent marker, or affix some labelled paper with tape.

PS. I have a YELLOW gas can I got at an auction. Does anyone know what yellow is for? There is no label. I was going to just spray paint it red, but never done it yet.

Reply to
mycomputer3

Yellow is for diesel fuel.

Of course, ideally, the proper color container for the proper fuel. As you said, it's wise to label the container if used in emergency for some other fuel.

A trace of kerosene won't hurt gasoline, if kerosene must be hauled in a red container.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard more than one person say they mixed gasoline & kerosene 50-50 back during WWII when there was gasoline rationing. Smoked a bit but no damage. In todays cars... who knows? I wouldn't want to risk it killing a bunch of sensors. But like you say, a trace amount won't hurt anything

Reply to
Tony

I believe yellow is for DIESEL FUEL

Reply to
hallerb

If you were trying to escape a hurricane, it's worth a try. Kerosene used to run in some gas enginese, after the motor was warmed up. They did that at remote pump houses, years ago. Might still do. Kerosene does go stale, but more slowly than gasoline.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ions

The only Yellow (plastic) can we have is part of a gadget we use for vacuuming (sucking), for example, engine oil etc. from something which ether does not have or has a drain plug that can't be reached!

It has a pump arrangement which screws onto what looks like a standard filler. When operated it draws 'waste' oil int to yellow plastic container. The black plastic tubular pump looks very much like those small plastic ones for inflating an air mattress etc.

Reply to
terry

ations

Except that it 'sucks'!

Reply to
terry

RED: gasoline BLUE: kerosene YELLOW: diesel

I learned this while researching if I can put kerosene into a gasoline container. I use an indoor kerosene heater to heat my home and I wanted to purchase one of those fuel pump canisters that hold about 14 gallons at a time. For some reason, the "diesel" fuel containers are a lot more expensive than the gasoline ones, so I was trying to figure out why.

Reply to
April

Nato Spec red is Gasoline,Yellow is Diesel Dark blue is Kero, Light Blue is WATER

If you are in the UK, leaded (4 star) gas is red, Unleaded is grean, and diesel is black.

Reply to
clare

On 01/01/2015 12:44 PM, April wrote: ...

It's only the wondrous State of California thru their octopus CARB that defines the color coding. CA is large enough it then becomes a de facto standard, but there's no binding requirement anywhere than in CA.

US DOT, EPA, OSHA care not a whit about color, only the various pieces of transportation safety design, workplace and environmental for the others.

A color coding isn't a bad thing but it's not mandated other than by CA...

Reply to
dpb