kerosene heaters

Hello all, Does anyone have any experience with the radiant kerosene heaters available at Loews? I have had the larger 23000 BTU convection heater for years and it works very well. I was wondering if the smaller

10000 BTU heater is good for a smaller room or if any one has one and waht their thoughts are. Other kerosene heaters are getting harder to find in the states. Thanks for any info.
Reply to
thehip

Been using them for 20 years in the fall to take the chill out of my family room before committing to central heat. I use a convection type heater but have a radiant type as well and it works equally as well. Both are Kerosun brand and are at leat 10 years old.

Reply to
Meat Plow

expensive.smelly heat , thats what i know about it

"thehip" wrote:

available at Loews? I have had the larger 23000 BTU convectionoheater for years and it works very well. I was wondering if the smaller o10000 BTU heater is good for a smaller room or if any one has one and waht their thoughts are. Other kerosene heaters are getting harder to find in the estates.iThanks for any info.

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

They are illegal in many areas due to the dangers of fire and asphyxiation. I keep one on hand just for emergencies, but would not use it on a regular basis in my home.

Plus, with kerosene costing around $3.00 per gallon, and a one gallon fill lasting about 12 hours, I doubt there's much of a savings over an electric space heater when heating one room. I believe it's not worth the risk.

If you use one, be sure to keep the door open and a window cracked.

Reply to
lanman

"thehip" wrote in news:u4eMi.29628$jC5.25342@trnddc04:

The 10k ones are great for a small apt or concentrating heat in one area of a larger place. If you run a heat pump that struggles on unusually cold nights it can put an end to that.

The thing that is really good about them is the tank pulls out completely to refill. Not recommended to do this while it's burning. An oddball happening could be complete disaster. Guess my number hadn't come up. Stupid, I know.

Tanks are 1 gal and burn about 12 hrs.

Being a previous user, you may know pets absolutely love 'em, the wick height has to be left all the way up at all times and you need to burn it off as soon as anything starts to crisp up on the wick or you'll start to get an oder.

Kero is getting expensive though.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Another thing to do is check your clothes closets regularly. You can't see it but if you're not careful you will have a closet full of soot for clothes.

Reply to
JC

They were a fad around here in the past. I don't think I know anyone who uses them now. I always remember people telling you that you can't smell them and their house stunk and your eyes would be watering. I guess it is a similar effect with smokers. They don't smell anything either.

Reply to
George

Kerosene heaters can be dangerous (ask your local FD). I recommend a couple carbon monoxide (and smoke) detectors that may save your life.

Reply to
Phisherman

Not to mention, CO

Reply to