Kenmore/Whirlpool Dishwasher Spray Arm Removal

I have a new (2002 year model)Kenmore dishwasher, model #665.2217512, manufactured by Whirlpool. I can't get the lower spray arm off. There is a 3/4 inch diameter plastic threaded plug in the center. I can turn this plug counter-clockwise all day long, but the plug will not remove. There must be some secret to removing the sprayarm?
I need to remove the spray arm so I can check the pump intake for debris. The dishes are not cleaning well at all, and there are signs of inadequate water. When the machine was 6 months old, a technician came out to fix the same problem. Obviously, I didn't pay close enough attention.
Any suggestions?
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Steve Nekias) wrote in message

Hi,
Model# won't come up for me :(

Poor filling?....clogged fill valve entrance screen?
-Some- have a large nut under the spray arm to remove the spray arm assy.
jeff.
The model number stamped on the nameplate is 17512. The complete model number (according to the Sears call center agent is 665.2217512.201. The original packing slip indicates 22 (in small digits) 17512 (in large digits 201 (in small print. This is a Canadian model and it appears the numbering system is a little different. The 665 prefix appears to indicate that the model was manufactured by Whirlpool, the 201 suffix appears to identify a minor model difference (E.g. two cap clips in the upper tray instead of one. The serial number on the name plate is FM4802739.
I can't find any nut underneath the spray arm. When I turn the threaded plug in the center of the wash arm, there is nothing moving or rotating under the spray arm.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Steve Nekias) wrote in message

Hi,
Canadian model#'s for the most part are not on-line for Sears. I did get 665.17512201 to work for me.
Does should a threaded nut under the spray arm....maybe stripped? :(
http://tinyurl.com/3d5ey Picture that may help.
#4 has threads on the bottom....
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N4015 Support-arm
Sorry can't help more,
jeff.
The links to the parts diagrams were helpful and accurate, Jeff.
There was a simple little "trick." After struggling with this for over a week, I got up out of bed at 11:30 last night, and lifted the spray arm up while turning it on the support arm (what I earlier called: "looks like a threaded plastic plug." To my shock and amazement, the spray arm came right off.
The thread on the support arm is a left-hand thread, so you have to lift up and rotate the spray arm counter-clockwise (or the support arm clockwise).
And yes, the pump inlet was clogged up with debris again, so the pump couldn't circulate enough water to properly clean the dishes.
Many thanks for helping me work this through to a happy ending, Jeff.
Happy Steve

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Steve Nekias) wrote in message

Thankx for the update!! Glad you got somewhere with it :)
jeff.
replying to Steve Nekias, Liz wrote:

Amazing!!! This saved me!!!!! Thank you
Ok, I have to admit that I'm a dummy.
In my attempts to take off the spray arm, I stripped the threads on the spray arm support (reverse thread).
Live and learn :-)
Mr fixit eh