Kenmore Water Softener resin tank rupture

I have a Kenmore water softener Model 625 75822 that was installed by Sears when my house was built 6 years ago.
Yesterday the inner resin tank ruptured and allowed the main salt tank to receive unchecked full pressure water from the main line which overflowed the tank and flooded my basement.
The small overflow line to the drain was in no way able to handle the full blown water flow so by the time I discovered it there was 5" of water over the entire basement.
So, my question is: is there a water softener manufacturer out there that supplies a "safe from flooding" product? Something that can detect such a failure and automatically bypass the unit to protect their customers home?
I know there's a float inside my unit that detects the proper water level during the regeneration cycle - why can't it have a secondary "alert" position (i.e. exceeds 2" above safe level and shut off or bypass).
Once the replacement tank comes in Sears is repairing the unit under the unit's 10 year leak warranty, but what do I do about my $500.00 insurance deductible and all the hassle associated with replacing the damaged / lost material from my basement. Surely the engineers can think a little further and help to guard against such disasterous failures.
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:38:56 -0600, "Tsmall"

Invest in a Sump Pump......?
-- Oren
There are 3rd party valves that can detect flooding and turn off water to the appliance.

There's also a cheap sensor you put on the floor what sets off a "smoke detector" sound when there is water. They are used to put outside of sumps in case the pump fails.
Art wrote:

You probably just got a bad tank. So the chances of having it happen again are small. But what's your water pressure like?
Also, do you have a check-valve on your water line coming into your house.
Tsmall wrote:

Is Sears covering parts and labor or just parts under the warranty? From talking to Sear Service for someone in the very same situation as you (ruptured in the seam of the resin tank) I was led to believe it covered the parts only. With the estimated cost for the service call to confirm the obvious problem plus labor to install the new tank it was decided that a new softener was the best solution to the problem. There was no fudge on what was stated as Sear's policy that unless Sears did all the labor they would not honor the warranty. I have to guess from your post that there was or still maybe a problem with resin tanks made for Sears. While Sears may not be the only company to have problems with resin tanks, they are however the only one I've read about and actually seen.
Just to error to the side of caution, if Sears has not committed to paying the labor get an estimate for time and materials before they return to install the tank.
There are pans made to set water heaters in to catch the water in case the tank ruptures. If you are close enough to a floor drain or sump pit the pans have a knock out to install a 3/4" or 1" drain line.

Tsmall wrote:

Hmmm, All my life using softener and never saw the resin tank breaking. What is your water pressure? Have a regulator at main inlet? And how come no basement drain? My softener is always located near the drain to minimize the chance of flooding.
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:38:56 -0600, "Tsmall"

Resin Tank....... What a joke.... You need a STEEL tank
I recall a time when they made things out of steel instead of plastic....
You also need a good lawyer. Sue Sue Sue .....
Mark