Kenmore washing machine refuses to Spin

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty 80 Series washing machine (model # 110.82681810) from the 80's. Just recently, it stopped spinning during the spin cycle (I think). It drains the water out and I can hear the motor humming. It has no problems agitating.
Any ideas on what could be wrong? I wouldn't even know where to start. I've tried some online searches for info but I'm having trouble finding anything helpful.
Are there little bits of plastic under it? Replace the motor coupler.
On 18 Jul 2004 21:38:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mike) wrote:

Take the "Dial" out and check the contacts. Sounds like one of the contacts may have burned out.
Now, the bummer is, if it IS the dial, they are anywhere from $50-$90 each...But you save the service call cost!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mike) wrote in message

Hi,
A direct drive Whirlpool built washer.
*Some* common trouble makers..... http://www.applianceaid.com/direct-nospin.html
Some take apart helps..... http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in message

Does anyone know where I could find a diagram of this washing machine? The washing machine actually belongs to my dad and he needs a diagram of it before he starts taking it apart. I can't seem to find one though.
Also, I gave him the information I found on that website and I have some more questions. Since the washer agitates fine but doesn't spin and the motor hums during the spin cycle, is there any problems that can be ruled out? According to what I found, when a washer doesn't spin it could be any of these problems:
* Lid switch defective. ( Very Common problem ) * Lid switch disconnect plug open. * Wiring harness. * Timer switches. * Motor. * Cam driver on basket drive broken or basket drive weak. * Weak clutch spring. * Spin tube. * Clothes between basket and tub. * Notches in drive block worn out and not engaging basket drive shaft. * Broken motor coupling. * gearcase
Since it does agitate, the water drains out and the motor hums during the spin cycle, can any of these problems be ruled out?
My dad insists that the problem is not the lid switch or the timer, even though he hasn't checked them. But the lid switch has been defective or broken for a year. We just have to leave the lid open to wash clothes instead of shutting it. Is it possible that even though we've had that problem for a year that it could now be affecting the spin cycle?
My dad refuses to call a repairman and also refuses to check the simpler things first. So if I can narrow things down a little I may be able to check the simpler things myself.
I bet it's the coupler and you don't have to take anything apart to get to it. Go up from the bottom.