kenmore washing machine control problem

I have a Kenmore 60-series washing machine, about 20 years old. Works fine except that the control seems to keep disengaging. This is the kind where you turn the dial to the wash setting you want, then pull on the knob to start it. At various points during the cycle, it stops, as if you had pushed the knob back in. If you lightly pull on the knob it starts up again. So (a) is it possible this could be fixed by opening up the control mechanism and cleaning stuff out? (b) if not, is it economical to replace the control mechanism? The washer otherwise seems to work fine: agitates, spins and pumps fine, no leaks. Thanks, --H

(a) is it possible this could be fixed by opening up the control mechanism and cleaning stuff out?
When mine went out that options looked grim
(b) if not, is it economical to replace the control mechanism?
If you can find a new one the answer is probably no. I think they wanted around $100 bucks. Maybe RepairClinic.com might be better.
I found a local reuse place that repairs and sells stuff. They had an extra used one and sold it to me for $15.