Kenmore washer wont drain or spin

This is a large capacity Kenmore 1 year and 1 week old. Has been used for only 6 full months and has run good up until last night. Noticed when we took the clothes out there were still very wet. Tried to re- run the spin and nothing. the machine hums and the lights actually dim in the utility room and nothing. you can hear the clicking if you turn the knob to different settings like it would if it was working but still nothing. I was able to add some water and tried to get it to agitate but this is also a no go. So its not doing anything at all except filling. Any one have any ideas at all? It would be greatly appreciated.
Oh Sears says sorry no extended warrantee was purchased and we only allow 3 months for return and 1 year manufacturer. What happened to the days when you bought a $350 washer and it actually worked for 5-10 years? But they would be happy to charge me $125 to have the tech come and see if its something like a defect or if it's a part I can pay then to replace. 6 months $350 Gesh !!!!! :( Wont forget to get the extended with its replacement .....
Renee'
Renee,
Sounds as if you've lost the belt. Probably a cheap fix. Google around and find a site that tells you how to open your machine up and replace the belt. This is very easy to do. I think Kenmore washers are made by Whirlpool.
Dave M.

Well, actually, it probably uses a direct drive motor/transmission. There's a coupler between the two which will break sometimes (if overloaded, clothing jams agitator, etc.) which is easily replaced by homeowner. Library will probably have a repair book for Whirlpool that will show you how, or search the net.
Tom.