Kenmore washer violent on spin.

Hello, My kenmore washer when it goes into the spin cycle begins to shake violently. It will do this (to a lesser degree) when there aren't even any clothes in it. How can I resolve this problem? Why is it doing this? It shakes so much you have to sit on it to stop it from walking away. Clothes are balanced...
Matt wrote:

If the clothes were balanced it wouldn't do it. Try a lighter load.
--
dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

That's been my experience with washers in the past but A) Shouldn't it sound a buzzer and stop if it's THAT off balance? and B) there aren't THAT many clothes in it... even when it's empty it shakes a bit.

Have you checked to see that it is level? That what makes mine do the "walkabout"

Yeah the level I have shows it's about as close as you can get to level. Last night the wife and I did 4 load of laundry. 2 of which did "the walk" and I had to jump on the washer, 2 were fine. Only difference was she loaded it a bit higher on the two that did the walkabout, but it wasn't THAT full. I've loaded many other washers to the same point with no issues in the past.

see the problem?
its probably a broken or disconnected spring like the other guy said.
randy
Should have bought a Maytag.

You may have one of three tie springs to the tub below broken. I had this happen with another brand washer many years ago. --Phil
Matt wrote:

I once had a washer that stopped doing this after I tightened some loose bolts near the bottom, that held the base on to the rest of the machine.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

I had the same problem with my new washing machine. The fellas that delivered it forgot to take out one of the shipping bolts at the bottom of the unit. You should take the cabinet off so you can take a better look at what's going on. A broken or disconnected spring, bent or broken spring bracket would be the things to look for.
Rich http://www.garage-door-hardware.com
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:38:36 GMT, "Rich"

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn /
Matt wrote:

If it shakes, it isn't balanced. Usually the unbalancing factor is clothes, but if it shakes when there are no clothes in it, something is definitely wrong, i.e. part of the spinning mechanism is unbalanced. Have you lifted the top and looked at the tub to see if anything is obvious?
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Yeah, nothing looks obviously off, and the springs all seem in place. When it spins with no clothes it definately has this whir weee whir weee whir weee to it that seems to indicate something is funky on the tub.. I think I'm going to call Kenmore/Sears about it and see what they can do as it's still mostly under warranty.

Hi,
Kenmore is made by several different companies...model# is??
Always done this, just started recently? Washer is on a wood/cement floor? Has the washer been moved recently?
jeff Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Ah, but is the entire washer balanced?
And does you washing machine have a view of television, or video games? Those promote violence, now days. You may need to pop a couple Ritalin into the basket before doing clothes.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus