Kenmore Washer model 110.4680290 leaking, top loading

Our top loading Kenmore clothes washer has been leaking a small amount of water from the front of the machine for several year, and getting only slightly worse. I know because my wife complained. :-). It's model #110.4680290, bought in 1996. Only the two of us, so not heavy usage.
I removed the metal body covering, and it seems as if the plastic sealed-unit water pump is leaking, around the gasket which seals the place where the motor shaft connects. The local Sears parts place has about 20 of this part #3363394 in stock at $49.99 each, which says something to me about the reliability of the part. :-)
Is there any way to fix the pump, or any sealing compound I could put inside, similar to how a car tire can now be repaired?
Thanks,
- Dugie
Hi Dugie,
The model number you've posted appears to be incorrect, but there's 'good news and bad news' on that part number pump:
The bad

Dave, it's Canadian product & model #, and I've double checked the #.
I hadn't made it clear in my message, but I had removed the pump with no problem, there's no rust on the well-oiled shaft.
To make sure of the leak's location, since there is no rust on the motor shaft, I'll run the washer with the case off, as you suggest on your site, in you excellent instructions. I don't know how to be absolutely sure of where the water is leaking.
Thanks for your help, and I hope your US Thanksgiving is a good one. Our Canadian Thanksgiving, on Oct. 11, was just fine. :-)
- Dugie

After the double-check, I'm sure the (fairly small) leak is at the water pump, so I'll replace it. Luckily there is no rust.
New problem: I've re-assembled the machine, everything is fine except
* during the wash cycle, the water doesn't cycle from the top of the tub as it used to do. I.e., the soapy water isn't constantly recycled (pumped) out of the water inlet and into the tub when in the wash cycle. I wonder if I hit a wire (I hope that's it).
Thanks, - Dugie

Thanks for all the help! The pump was installed, and still works fine.
Dugie

Glad to hear the washer is working! :)
Thankx for the update. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /

Hi,
Model# appears too short/incorrect!??!

Nope and nope. Replace the pump!
Helps for doing this job... http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html#pump

Much cheaper here....
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi-bin/promote-detail.cgi?affiliate_id=AppAid&item363394&brand=WPL

Considering that this particular design of water pump is used on almost 60% of all washers sold in the U.S., that's probably not an excessive number of parts to have on hand. Especially considering that it's been in use since 1983. As Dave in another post states, he has them for sale at $20 which reflects on his lack of overhead enabling him to accept a tighter margin and still stay in business. I see online that Sears parts at Sears.com has it for $40.99 plus shipping. I would think the local parts center would have it at that price and because it is trucked in, there usually isn't a shipping charge. >