Kenmore Washer model 110.4680290 leaking, top loading

Our top loading Kenmore clothes washer has been leaking a small amount of water from the front of the machine for several year, and getting only slightly worse. I know because my wife complained. :-). It's model #110.4680290, bought in 1996. Only the two of us, so not heavy usage.

I removed the metal body covering, and it seems as if the plastic sealed-unit water pump is leaking, around the gasket which seals the place where the motor shaft connects. The local Sears parts place has about 20 of this part #3363394 in stock at $49.99 each, which says something to me about the reliability of the part. :-)

Is there any way to fix the pump, or any sealing compound I could put inside, similar to how a car tire can now be repaired?

Thanks,

- Dugie

Reply to
Dugie

Hi Dugie,

The model number you've posted appears to be incorrect, but there's 'good news and bad news' on that part number pump:

The bad news: There's no way to repair this pump's rotary seal when it leaks.

And the good news: You don't have to pay 50 bucks for one of these; I have them (genuine Whirlpool) on sale for $19.50 plus $4 Priority Mail, which gets it to your door in about 2 days if you're in the lower 48. (Plus $1.17 sales tax if you're in PA).

And I include step-by-step installation instructions, as well as personal help if needed.

PS - you'll probably have to sand the motor shaft if it's been leaking this long. And the old pump often has to be cut/broken to get it off, bc the motor shaft will have rusted. 'Makes it difficult to remove, but it can be done - I do it all the time.

Just visit the page below and pay with Paypal (it's very easy

- you can use any credit card, even if you don't have a Paypal account!), and I'll Priority one out immediately:

Happy Thanksgiving, and God bless!

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

John 3:3

water from the front of the machine for

complained. :-). It's model #110.4680290,

sealed-unit water pump is leaking, around the

Sears parts place has about 20 of this part

reliability of the part. :-)

inside, similar to how a car tire can now be

Reply to
Dave Harnish

from the front of the machine for

:-). It's model #110.4680290,

pump is leaking, around the

place has about 20 of this part

of the part. :-)

similar to how a car tire can now be

Hi,

Model# appears too short/incorrect!??!

similar to how a car tire can now be

Nope and nope. Replace the pump!

Helps for doing this job...

Much cheaper here....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Considering that this particular design of water pump is used on almost 60% of all washers sold in the U.S., that's probably not an excessive number of parts to have on hand. Especially considering that it's been in use since

1983. As Dave in another post states, he has them for sale at $20 which reflects on his lack of overhead enabling him to accept a tighter margin and still stay in business. I see online that Sears parts at Sears.com has it for $40.99 plus shipping. I would think the local parts center would have it at that price and because it is trucked in, there usually isn't a shipping charge. >
Reply to
Tom

Dave, it's Canadian product & model #, and I've double checked the #.

I hadn't made it clear in my message, but I had removed the pump with no problem, there's no rust on the well-oiled shaft.

To make sure of the leak's location, since there is no rust on the motor shaft, I'll run the washer with the case off, as you suggest on your site, in you excellent instructions. I don't know how to be absolutely sure of where the water is leaking.

Thanks for your help, and I hope your US Thanksgiving is a good one. Our Canadian Thanksgiving, on Oct. 11, was just fine. :-)

- Dugie

Reply to
Dugie

After the double-check, I'm sure the (fairly small) leak is at the water pump, so I'll replace it. Luckily there is no rust.

New problem: I've re-assembled the machine, everything is fine except

  • during the wash cycle, the water doesn't cycle from the top of the tub as it used to do. I.e., the soapy water isn't constantly recycled (pumped) out of the water inlet and into the tub when in the wash cycle. I wonder if I hit a wire (I hope that's it).

Thanks,

- Dugie

Reply to
Dugie

Thanks for all the help! The pump was installed, and still works fine.

Dugie

I'll replace it. Luckily there is

Reply to
Dugie

Glad to hear the washer is working! :)

Thankx for the update. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid