Kenmore washer agitator slipping

I have a Kenmore washer model 110.81310120 (Whirlpool) that's about 15 years old. Just recently the agitator will only go in one direction in wash cycle, not back and forth like it should. When it tries to go in the back direction, I hear a gear slipping, or not catching, not allowing it to go the other way. It spins fine. I was able to remove the agitator, and saw nothing that looked like agitator dogs. It is a direct drive machine. Any idea what the problem might be?
TIA,
Jack

Hello,
Looks like a one piece agitator = no agitator drive dogs.

Certainly sounds like the gearcase/tranny let go :(
No pic: http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&NT5401 Gearcase
New gearcase time.

years
cycle,
go
Any
go
Thanks Jeff. Considering the low cost of a new basic washer, I think it's time for a visit to Sears. You have an excellent web site.
Regards,
Jack

Since your washer appears to approx 20 years old, might be the best idea :)

Thankx!! :)
May I suggest NOT sears? I've heard many complaints about their service. And as someone who has repaired Sears products, I find they very often use off sized parts, so that you can't for example use Tecumseh breaker points on a Craftsman lawn mower engine which was made for them by Tecumseh.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated