Kenmore washer

My ancient washer has a problem. Except for this, it works fine. When it goes into spin cycle, the tub spins, but it won't pump the water out. When I first looked at it I found the belt a little slack, so I tightened it properly. Is it the wig-wag's job to engage the pump? Could the timer be faulty, not triggering the wig-wag? I have some long-ago experience in a furniture store doing appliance repairs, but this one escapes me. Any help will be gratefully appreciated. TIA

Reply to
1D10T

I don't believe the wig-wag triggers the pump, I'm guessing that is in the timer? You'll need a multitester to diagnose as it could be the pump itself as well, correct? Most of the older appliances I've worked on actually had the schematic stuck inside the unit somewhere, typically the face plate where the timer and other controls are. Before you bother with that though make sure the drain line isn't plugged or there isn't a sock stuck in the pump, although if it drains after the wash cycle and just not during the spin I'd go back to the timer again. If you have the schematic you'll be able to follow any components from pump to power.

More info & help here:

Jackson

I once had a similar problem 20 years ago. My Kenmore is 30 years old and chugging along merrily. The problem was caused by lint trapped in the discharge vanes of the water pump. I don't know how to describe it but it is a large horn shaped translucent plastic assembly that you will have to dismantle from under the washer's cabinet. When you find the lint collection be very careful to remove as much as you can with a metal wire hook and then flush the remainder out in the reverse direction. That is away from the discharge duct. I tried to flush mine out by forcing water into the direction of the discharge duct and the lint jammed inside the vanes for good. The water pump is a sealed unit for mechanical strength and not repairable. I had to buy a replacement ($40 then). This is a generic part across several models of washers. The washer has been running without trouble since - that is except for the hot water supply. There seems to be very quick lime buildup that blocks the supply of hot water at the hose connection where there is a wire screen filter.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Thanks for the help guys! I found the problem to be a seized pump.

Reply to
1D10T