kenmore washer 110.28922790

Washer will completely stop between cycles at times (other times works fine). When it stops we can shake the washer sometimes and then it will start whatever cycle it should be in. Other times it just sits there. When this happens I can leave it alone for an hour or so, come back and push in the dial to start the washer and it will work fine. This has been happening off an on for 3 or 4 months but has not happened very often. The past week it is beginning to do it at least every other wash. Any thoughts or suggestions. My husband is handy with doing repairs if he knows what the problem is and someone gives him a bit of guidance. Tks
Sounds like the problem lies within the drum of the timer/cycle switch. As a DIY'er, your husband can remove this unit from the panel, and, depending on how far he wants to go (based upon his skill level and tools) disassemble and clean the drum/contacts. This procedure worked well for me in a similar situation, but the fix lasted only about a year before I had to replace the entire unit.