Kenmore Vacuum Model 116

C.B.:

C > I have a Kenmore Model 116 vacuum that is about 1 year old. I have

"116" is the manufacturer source code. The model number is the numbers after that (probably a different typeface).

C > not used it heavily nor have I abused it in any way. However, just C > recently the carpet beater bar attachment has ceased working. I have

Must be a canister. Is the belt good? If the beater bar rotates when the head is lifted off the carpet but not when against the carpet the belt has stretched out (normal) and needs to be replaced. One year is a good lifespan. Replace with same type (the stock number is probably also on the plate with the stock number). If you can't find look at the plate on the main unit. If can't find there copy down the canister's model number (not the 'head' unit) and bring to Sears. (The new belt will be _tight_ and feel like it's too short: they all do.)

If the beater bar does not rotate when lifted from the carpet try resetting the "reset" switch, usually located on the top of the beater bar head unit. Old units it's a round push button about 3/8th's inch in diameter. On newer units it's an almost-square button.

A third option is there is a switch set to "bare floor" -- should be set to "carpet".

  • Having an out of body experience. Back in five.
Reply to
barry martin