Kenmore Ultra Wash dishwasher won't drain

The usual: Leaves a large amount of water in the bottom after a cycle. I can hear the pump running, sounds healthy, and see a trickle coming into the disposal, but it doesn't get much out of there. I know this is a common problem, and I've gone through the archives and looked at the DIY links referenced. We have had the inside unit apart down to the motor, and pulled the hose and checked for resrtrictions. Everything is clear, the impeller etc all looks in like-new condition. The only thing we haven't done is looked through the plastic pipe that comes out of the pump at an angle (~30 degrees down, pointed about 4:00) onto which the hose connects. I've disconnected it at the bottom. Appears to be some sort of valve there, and it appears clean and clear. So what am I missing?

Reply to
Rex Burkheimer

Hi,

The model#, Kenmore is made by several different companies.

model# helps.

draining tips and helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

15779 Sorry

Reply to
Rex Burkheimer

I'm afraid that is not the model number (at least not the full model number), it may be a sales SKU number.

The only reliable place to find the model number is on the appliance's model and serial number tag, not on any manuals or paperwork which may have come with the appliance. You can find tips for locating the model number tag *on your appliances* in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Dan The owners manual says "For models 15772, 15777, 15779, etc" So that is the number I chose from those on the tage. The full number is 665.15779990

Reply to
Rex Burkheimer

Hi,

A Whirlpool built Kenmore, forward-reversing style motor and pump assy. Motor runs in one direction to wash, stops, reverses direction to drain.

Need to check the drain impellor inside the pump assy ( lower one ) and check the drain system right from the drain exit port on the pump body to the house drain port.

Quick tips: Not draining the water out....

Check for hose kinks or food plugging drain hose. Start at the drain port exit ( there are others, this is just an example -

)

Check the check valve and drain hose for debris.

Check pump motor for reversing during the pump out make sure the dishwasher is pausing between the wash and drain cycles letting the pump/motor reverse for the drain cycle.

Check timer for not letting the dishwasher pause. ( not all dishwashers )

Check pump motor assembly for a drain solenoid, during the pump out make sure the solenoid makes that distinctive "clunk" noise

If you have recently installed a new garbage disposal, check knock-out plug at connection. (

)

Check pump impeller for damage.

Check that the water inlet valve isn't seeping fresh water into the dishwasher when off.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Did that. Appears to be fine, although I do not know how it looked new. If there is wear or damage it's very uniform. Don't think this one is hurt.

That's a ribbed plastic hose. We detached it at both ends and blew through it, no restriction. We can see the entire hose, and there are no kinks

I did not remove the valve. That and the passage directly above it is the only place we did not disassemble.

Will do that today.

This is a push-button control panel. Does it have a mechanical timer? I expected it to be solid-state.

I saw no sign of a solendoid, although there is an electrical box about

3x4x2 in the lower right front corner of the base.

Same as above, right?

I'll check that last bit of drain passage in the pump, and check that the motor is reversing. Thanks for the help.

Rex B

Reply to
Rex Burkheimer

Hi,

Solid state electronic control, still allows the same pause.

Different style d/w, yours is a forward-reversing style motor and pump assy.

Correct, should have nice ribs on the impellor and not freewheel on the shaft.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff