Kenmore trash compactor "chattering"

My Kenmore trash compactor will compact to a point but then start "chattering", i.e. it doesn't compress any further, doesn't stop the motor, and doesn't retract. (This is in normal mode where it would normally reach a certian point of compression and then retract.)
I have heard about a couple of switches that govern the limits, but I don't have a schematic for the unit. Rather than take the whole thing apart (which I'm willing to do if it comes to that), can someone direct me to a diagram? I looked at the RepairClinic site, but their diagram seems to be missing and they want to sell me the manual.
Are the switches in the top, the bottom, or the back, or...?
JasonW wrote:

off PARTS and then when on the parts page you put the model number in the space and you will get a diagram and a list of parts available... might even be able to get( buy the owners manual which might have the diagram)....

Actually, I was able to get the top off and noticed that the plastic nuts were stripped out and the carriage was mounted crooked as a result. I'll get replacements and get 'er going again. The switches look fine.