Kenmore top-loading washer, series 80

Kenmore top-loading washer, series 80. Burning smell, but still works. I noticed that during spin (to remove water) if I lift the lid the spin stops IMMEDIATELY, no coasting to a stop. I'm pretty handy, but what part to replace? (Thanks in advance, not that I won't thank you l8tr)
Do you expect your lawn mower blade to coast to a stop if you release the brake control?

Paul wrote:

Dust build up? How old is it? Wonder if motor has brushes.
On 3/26/2011 9:34 AM, Paul wrote:

Lots of washers have brakes to stop the drum. Maybe it came loose, rubs, and gets hot while spinning then stops as it should when the lid is opened?