Kenmore Softener resin tank crack question

I have a Kenmore water softener (625.388250) that is 7 years old. When I was adding salt, I notice that the outer shell of the resin tank is cracked (crack starts about 10 inch from tank bottom). This shell appears to be a thin covering for the resin tank. My questions are:
1) Does this need to be replaced? The part cost is $350 plus shipping from Sears. At that cost, I would probably buy a new unit.
2) I can buy a similar used water softener (slightly smaller tank but it should fit) from craigslist. I would swap the two resin tanks. The softener that is listed has not been used for a few years. Do I need to be concerned about mold etc in the tank from long term storage?
Thanks.
Philip

Why not just patch the tank? It's already ugly. Your wife will never notice it if you don't mention you are going to do it....
The resin tank sits inside the salt tank. I am not sure what to patch it with.

I would think fiberglas. You buy get a single use boat patch kit that includes the fabric, hardener, resin, plastic applicator and little mixing tray for -- I'm guessing-- maybe $10 or so.
trust me, you cannot patch it and make it work. just buy a new one and move on.....your welcome

On Nov 5, 12:59pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

A couple years ago I found an inexplicable 6" crack in the bottom of my ancient Culligan plastic brine tank.
I enlarged it... I can't remember how... enough to take some JB Weld and it's still holding. -----
- gpsman