Kenmore refridgerator freezing up

I have a Kenmore side-by-side refridgerator (model 50264992) that keeps freezing up (or stays freezing). I think the temp in it is around 30 degrees and my milk keeps freezing solid and my fuits and vegetables keep getting ruined. The problem soon began after the hurricane season here in Florida. My wife made both the freezer and fridge section colder, so that if we lost power for a while, things would be colder and and would last for a little longer.

Now, if I thurn the fridge and freezer both to warmer settings (fridge to the warmest), the fridge justs keeps freezing food. I have even unplugged it for an hour or so?

Any ideas? Is there any part on the back that I can thaw out with a hairdryer or something?

Sears is coming out in several days and I have the two repair options before they look at it: A) $45 diagnosis charge + parts charge + labor charge (with 90day warranty) or B) $219 for everything and a (12 month warranty on evertyhing)

However, if I can fix it myself before the appointment, I can save some bucks which I need.

Thanks!

Reply to
Roger

I would give serious consideration to the $219 if that includes a new refrigerator if they can't fix it right. Problem could be a worn out compressor that is running all the time to keep the freezer cold and thus over cooling the fresh food section. Does it sound as if the compressor never shuts off. On older refrigerators, the compressor ran to keep the freezer at right temp and the temperature in the fresh food section was only controlled by regulating how much of that cold air was circulated into that section by a damper. Could be that damper is now stuck open so that you aren't really controlling (restricting) air flow into fresh food section. I'm not a tech however, just a long time Appliance salesman (Sears)

Reply to
Tom

Andy suggests:

One more thing to try , in case some ice has formed in the innards and jammed the thermostat, or something similar....

Take all the food out and open the doors and unplug the fridge . Leave it for a day so that EVERYTHING that might possibly have ice on it can thaw.

It's a pain, but it might work... Just a last resort to try...

Have a big meal with the meat. I will supply you with an address to send the beer...

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Couple of questions. Open the fridge door and push the little button so the light goes off.

1) Can you hear a fan blowing in the back of the fridge?

2) Reach in, and see i fyou can feel a blast of cold air blowing in the back of the fridge.

3) Is there frost on the back wall of t he fridge or freezer? Was there frost there before?

I'm thinking along the lines that you might have a defrost problem, or some air flow problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would give serious consideration to the $219 if that includes a new refrigerator if they can't fix it right. CY: New fridge would be good for several trouble free years of service.

Problem could be a worn out compressor that is running all the time CY: sometimes part of the freon leaks out, but that warms up the whole thing. Compressors (usually) go out all at once. Klunk!

to keep the freezer cold and thus over cooling the fresh food section. CY: The thermostat is in the fresh (refrig) section.

Does it sound as if the compressor never shuts off. On older refrigerators, the compressor ran to keep the freezer at right temp and the temperature in the fresh food section was only controlled by regulating how much of that cold air was circulated into that section by a damper. CY: Oddly enough the thermostat was in the refrig, and the cold coils (evaporator) are in the freezer. Usually. The damper regulates air flow to the refrig.

Could be that damper is now stuck open so that you aren't really controlling (restricting) air flow into fresh food section. CY: If the damper is stuck open, both refrig and freezer tend to be the same temp.

I'm not a tech however, just a long time Appliance salesman (Sears) CY: Hey, you are doing what you can. I may disagree with you on hwo fridges work, but I'm glad you are pitching in and helping out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If this works, it illustrates that you are having defrost problems. Prop the both doors open, and point a fan into the fridge, to keep warm air going into the fridge and freezer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The $219 actually has a limit up to $500. If it is more than that, then they give me a coupon for $500 towards a new fridge. I don't really hear much sound at all. It's only 2-3 yrs old and fairly quiet.

compressor

Reply to
Roger

CY: I dont really hear a fan, but there is a vent at the top in back that is blowing out cold air and there is snowy-ice on and around it, as well as on some products directly in front of it. This vent is on the wall between the fridge and feezer, and it has a channel (probably conduit) going to the temp control knobs in the front. There is also a slider thingy down by the vegetable bins on the bottom. At the top of the bin it looks like there is another vent that is iced up.

Reply to
Roger

This is Turtle.

You have a stuck thermostat. The air discharges start to freeze up when you go below -10ºF in the freezer and the thermostat is hung wide open.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE