Kenmore HD Series 70 Washer Softener Dispenser Problem

I'm having a problem with the fabric softener dispenser. Recently it has begun to dribble water out at the very end of the rinse cycle.
The cylindrical unit sits on the head of the agitator and removes fairly easily. I steamed it with a power steamer, then soaked it in a mild vinegar solution and will probably even try the power washer since the first two methods haven't seemed to free it up. The vinegar loosened a lot of junk but without agitation, it's a very slow process. Will probably run it through the dishwasher, too.
Any other suggestions for cleaning softener crud from the inside, where I assume it's gummed up the centrifically activated valve? Doesn't seem to want to come apart with reasonable force. Model numbers to follow since I assume one of the end points on the decision tree is either "can't fix it, need a new one" or "I broke it, need a new one." (-:
--
Bobby G.

On the washing machines I have seen/worked on, the fabric softener resides in a cup-shaped object on the top of the agitator. When the machine goes i nto the first spin, the liquid gets thown up and outward into a secondary l arger diameter cup-shoped gizmo that has a bottom inward facing lip to keep the fabric softener liquid from running down until the agitator stops spin ing. Then, then fabric softener liquid runs down the sides of the agitator .
That whole dispenser mechanism can be removed and placed in a bucket of wat er to loosen up accumulated crud, or your power washer idea should also wor k, just use low force so you don't destroy the plastic. There is no valve as such, just centrifugal force that transfers the liquid from the inner cu p to the outer holding cup, and then lets it run down when the spinning sto ps.
<On the washing machines I have seen/worked on, the fabric softener resides in a cup-shaped object on the top of the agitator. When the machine goes into the first spin, the liquid gets thown up and outward into a secondary larger diameter cup-shoped gizmo that has a bottom inward facing lip to keep the fabric softener liquid from running down until the agitator stops spining. Then, then fabric softener liquid runs down the sides of the agitator. >
That sounds right. I thought there might be some sort of valve or flapper because I felt something sliding back and forth when I held it under water. I can see from your description that I'll have to look further. At the very end of the cycle clean water is coming out of the fabric cup and spilling down the agitator. Or at least it seemed pretty clean to me. I don't think there's overspray filling the cup during the rinse cycle, but something's getting clean water into the cup that dumps out at the very end of the rinse cycle.
<That whole dispenser mechanism can be removed and placed in a bucket of water to loosen up accumulated crud, or your power washer idea should also work, just use low force so you don't destroy the plastic. There is no valve as such, just centrifugal force that transfers the liquid from the inner cup to the outer holding cup, and then lets it run down when the spinning stops.>
Thanks for the info. I am looking for an old aquarium bubbler I know is around here *somewhere* so I can run the small air hose into the softener "drum" as it soaks in the bucket of vinegar solution. That additional agitation should loosen things up. I'll use the power washer as a last resort because it has a habit of washing things to death, even on low. (-:
--
Bobby G.