Kenmore Gas Dryer Fuse Location??

I have a Kenmore 70 Series Gas Dryer which will tumble, but not heat. The troubleshooting guide in the user manual, and on the sticker inside the door, both say that a tripped or blown breaker or fuse is a likely cause. The circuit schematic inside the back panel refers to a non-resettable thermal fuse, which I assume is what the user manual is talkin about. Obviously, I want to check this fuse to see if it must be replaced.

Trouble is, I can't find it! Anyone know where it might be hidden? I've identified most of the components shown in the schematic, but the location of the fuse eludes me.

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom of the newsgroup.

Reply to
Gary

I believe that the non-resettable fuse will self reset after a period of time or when it cools down. It is actually a non-manually-resettable fuse. Try your dryer again and see if it works. If it does not, perhaps something like a blocked vent is keeping the fuse from self resetting.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

Silly question, but are you sure the fuse/breaker supplying the outlet has not tripped? Try plugging a light into the socket and see if it works.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Are you basing your suspicions of a bad fuse solely on the owner's manual or did you do some other troubleshooting? Those manuals only list the most simplistic possibilities, not necessarily the real problem.

I'm not sure how the ignition of your model operates. However, I'd open the access cover and check to see if there is ignition or any effort being made to ignite the gas upon the start of a cycle. If there is a spark ignitor, you should see the snap of the spark. If your model is an older unit that uses a standing pilot light, the first step is to see if the pilot is still on.

Troubleshooting beyond the above will take some skills, a testmeter, etc.

Most non resettable fuses are mounted near the combustion chamber or the exhaust port, shutting down the main gas valve in case of a fire spreading beyond where it should be, or they are located within the drive motor.....

Doug

Reply to
sparks065

As it is gas and tumbles but does not heat it is not the circuit fuse/breaker, (though for an electric w/ fused service a single blown cartridge fuse may cause this, the opposite fuse of the pair blown instead will cause it to be totally dead, as the 120V motor uses only one fuse, th e240V heater requires both.) sounds like a bad thermal fuse in the hot air path behind the drum or a bad gas valve solenoid (on top of the gas valve in the front lower left) or a bad hot surface igniter (in th eburner tube, bottom left side).

Try www.repaircl> > I believe that the non-resettable fuse will self reset after a period

Reply to
The Masked Marvel

JFYI. A "non-resettable" thermal fuse will not reset ever, hence its name.

Gary, check on the heater or blower housing. It may look something like one of the following:

?pc=3399849
Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Make sure the outlet vent is not plugged up. Ours did the same thing...Paul

Reply to
PJ

Just replaced the fuse on a 70 series gas dryer and as others have said, it's on the outlet vent tube. Take off the back panel and it will be easy to find. Also, that dryer doesn't have spark ignition, but rather a small "glow" coil housed in the burner tube. The fuse is easy to check...no continuity, no good. Must go pretty often as my local Sears parts center had them hanging on the wall as a "serve yourself" item. Price...$9.99. I figured that this one burnt out because the owner (my cousin) had accidently moved the dryer and disconnected the vent and realigned the dryer so the wall was blocking the outlet. Lucky it was the fuse that burnt rather than the house.

Reply to
Tom

I second repair clinic as I had to replace thermal fuse on my dryer and they showed me how, step by step. very easy once you get the help.

Reply to
pink hoodies n haters