Kenmore Front Loader washer bad strut? Recall?

I've *never* been very happy with my Kenmore front loader washer I bought abt 5 years ago.

It shakes very badly.....and always has. And sounds like bearing is going out

Does anyone know where I can find out if there has a been a recall and repair on this model?

Or have any info if this is a factory defect?

Reply to
me

I wonder if the Sears web site has info on recalls. And,

JoeSpareBedroom

Technically, a recall is a sort of government thing, pointing to serious and dangerous product deficiencies. Recalls are common knowledge, and can usually be researched on the internet, including on government websites. When there is a recall, the manufacturer will ask for all items to be returned (for smaller items, like contact lens solution) or repaired (for things like appliances and cars).

On the other hand, there are other sorts of actions in the appliance industry that are not recalls, but cover updates to parts and repair procedures. In your case, there is an updated shock absorber that may help your vibration problem. However, if you have a bearing problem, usually a loud metalic growling sound especially in spin, then you need to consider an overhaul or replacement before worrying about the shocks.

Reply to
nospamtodd

yes I'm sorry. Bad wording on my part. I meant the above

How can I find out what this "action" is and print it out?

Id like to have some proof before I go to local Sears dealer

Reply to
me

Some manufacturers reveal these things on their web sites. Have you looked around at

If not, why not?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is it the big one made by whirlpool or the smaller one by Frigidaire. Our big one had to be replaced when new because cabinet wasn't welded correctly. Also had bad pump that made a racket from day one.

Reply to
Art

Not sure

I will take a look in a bit and get back with you

But its had vibration problem from day one.

And I've just lived with it for 5 years

Reply to
me

You may be able to duplicate the following experience where you live: There's a small independent dealer here (Rochester NY) which also does service, and has a parts counter. The parts guy is a living encyclopedia of appliance knowledge. So, when my Kenmore dishwasher stopped draining, I called him. He knew who made the machine for Sears, based on the mile-long part number. He told me the 3 most likely places to look for the problem. His first guess was right - a little plastic fitting. He had the part for me in 2 days.

If you can find a place like this, they would be very likely to know about a recall, and be able to assist you in fixing the problem.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Documents that speak about updates to parts and service procedures tend to be internal documents. I don't think you will be able to research this yourself. Besides, I don't think it will be helpful for you for the purpose that you want it, which I am guessing is to make someone pay for your repair instead of yourself. The mere presence of an updated part doesn't mean the bad one was defective, nor does it obligate a company to replace it.

Here is a sample of a service bulletin: "An updated widget kit is now available. Use it on the following models..."

It doesn't say "An updated widget kit is now available, because we designed the first one poorly, and there is a possibility of fire if you don't install it." I am talking about normal service and parts documents, not recalls here.

I would have to agree with the last writer, that going to a smaller sales/service outlet, and speaking to the parts counter person, will afford you the personal and knowledgable attention that you are seeking. While that person won't have documents relating to Sears, he will know things about your appliance because all Sears appliances are made by other manufacturers.

In your case, if you have a front load washer made by Frigidaire, then there is an updated shock kit that is available. If you are handy with tools, you should be able to install this yourself.

Reply to
nospamtodd

I always find it interesting when someone complains about something thats been bad for 5 years. I fix machines for a living, if somethings not right complain right away.

I DONT buy stuff from sears!

Did you know that if you call them to fix a washer and dryer or 2 washers at the same time you will be charged travel twice? actually 1.5 times.

sears gouges on travel

Reply to
hallerb

I find the concept of a travel charge to be rather silly. Each appliance has to be diagnosed, so if you think of the minimum charge as a diagnosis charge, then charging this for two appliances makes sense. In other words, diagosis charge plus labor to fix it, equals the final labor charge.

The best way to manage expenses of appliances as a customer is to buy units with generally recognized low maintenance requirements, and install them well. Appliance servicers know which ones those are, and this often differs from what a salesman will say, and what Consumer Reports might say as well. In fact, I often wonder if there are really an people who know appliances at Consumer Reports.

Another thing to note is that some manufacturers have horrendous pricing for parts. GE is one example. And this goes for rebranded products as well. GE parts prices will be much more expensive than Frigidaire parts prices on a Frigidaire front load washer, rebranded as a GE washer. Same part, but perhaps a different GE part number or package, and a much higher price.

Reply to
nospamtodd

This is indeed very true: I needed to replace a door shelf in my GE refrigerator, and GE wanted $26 for the part. I went to my local appliance parts dealer and paid $13 for the exact same part. Every medium-sized and larger urban area has these kinds of appliance parts dealers; bring the part to them (and write down the appliance serial number) to get the right replacement at the right price.

Reply to
KLS

Sears TRAVEL charge is JUST FOR TRAVEL, the labor rate is completely seperate. my beef is their charging twice for travel for the same tech to at most swap tool kits at their truck...

I have my own business fixing office machines for a living, travel is a big cost today, but you shouldnt gouge either

Reply to
hallerb

Please look at your receipt and tell me the itemized trip charge on it.

Reply to
nospamtodd

Sears charged at the time 75 bucks for the first item the gas forced air furnace and 75 bucks for the AC on the same furnace, then discounts the second 75 bucks by 1/2

the tech merely swapped tool kits, time less than 2 minutes...

this was a couple years ago when I was preping my moms home for sale.

to me the furnace with AC is a single appliance....

Reply to
hallerb

I will tell you a Maytag service agreement experience. Maytag Neptune door lock motor failed on a front loader. It was near end of service agreement. I tol Maytag symptoms over the phone. Guy came and replaced lock motor and main control board even though latter was fine. I thought that was decent policy.

Reply to
Art

There is a relationship between the door lock and the main control, and it is a known problem to Maytag. Changing both is the only way make sure you have all the bases covered. He wasn't doing you a favor; he was just doing the job right.

Reply to
nospamtodd

I believe there was a flaw in the early Maytag control boards for the Neptune that if the lock motor failed the control board would burn out. This unit already had an upgraded control board and in fact the machine could be operated even with bad lock motor if you tricked it into thinking door was closed.

Reply to
Art