Kenmore fridge...can't install new filter!

Hello...
We just bought a Kenmore fridge a few months ago...model 106.56532400. It was time to replace the filter, so I bought the correct one, pulled out the old filter, and tried to install the new one. It would go in only so far...the valves on the end of the filter would not engage. I double-checked...this is the correct filter, I was putting it in the correct way, and we had a similar fridge in the past so I was familiar with replacing these. I couldn't even put the old filter back in...it went in as far as the other one. Very strange!
Anyone hear of something like this happening, and have any idea of a solution? I'd rather not call out service for something this stupid...

Did you press teh button on the side and fullly seat the cap on the new filter? Is the cap perfectly aligned?
Also, check for plastic fragments broken off inside the couplings.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Did you remove the plastic caps from the new filter, first?