Kenmore Elite HE3 (Whirlpool) frontloader

Anyone know what this machine sometimes decides to do during the last minute of the spin cycle. Instead of going into fast spin, it will, for ages it seems, stop, go, pump, speed up, slow down, fall asleep, wake up, speed up, slow down, and finally do a fast spin. Might do the for 10 minutes or more it seems. What the heck is it doing and why? Been doing it on some loads since day one but it gets more obnoxious each year.
My Whirlpool front loader (Whipper makes the Kenmore) does the same thing. They said it's the water sensors, still detecting too much moisture and tries to spin it all out again before doing the final slow "untangle the laundry" spin. Mine did this mostly with towels until I cut down on the number that I put in. The books says something like 23 large bath towels, I'm lucky if it does 10.

Art wrote:

According to what I was told about ours, its "load balancing," and depending on the composition of the load it may take a little time; after all, you don't want it out of balance when it does that final fast spin!
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price