Kenmore Dryer Will Not Heat AND Will Not Stop Running

Our Kenmore dryer will not heat and will not stop running when the gets to the end. I have cleaned a wad of lint out of the vent. Any suggestions? I do not have a meter and cannot test different parts unless there is a testing method that does not involve a meter. Given both of the problems occurring at the same time, what is the likely issue? Thanks.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
seanandrews

Our Kenmore dryer will not heat and will not stop running when the gets to the end. I have cleaned a wad of lint out of the vent. Any suggestions? I do not have a meter and cannot test different parts unless there is a testing method that does not involve a meter. Given both of the problems occurring at the same time, what is the likely issue? Thanks.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
seanandrews

Gas/Electric???

Presuming is electric, element out is good bet; failure to stop unless is timed-only cycle would be that since there's no heat the clothes never get dry.

Don't need actual meter but at least a neon-light voltage probe would be useful altho can tell if the elements are broken by opening and observing.

Other than that, kinda' need at least way to see where there is/isn't voltage to discern where in the chain the fault may be.

If gas, there are differing issues of course.

--

Reply to
dpb

Cut off your legs and complain that you can't walk... That's what you're doing here.

Meters are cheap, available everywhere, and easy enough for the average person to use.

If you don't want to buy a meter, then pay a professional to come look at it, or buy a new one. Those are your only choices.

Most likely, it's broke. Since it's more complicated than a sledgehammer, there's more than one possible "likely" place it could be broke.

These things are designed so that the whole unit goes to pot at roughly the same time. If you fix whatever's broke now, something else will break next week because it's just about shot too. The week after that, something else will break. By the time you're done you'll have several times the value of a new dryer invested in this old one.

Reply to
mkirsch1

sean.andrews_at_twcable_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (seanandrews) wrote in news:d7de5$4d5a9d18$45499b77$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

Will it switch off if you turn the knob to the end of the cycle?

Reply to
Tegger

At least one part is working - the humidity sensor that tells the dryer to keep running until the clothes are dry.

The most common causes of dryers not doing their job are:

  • Vent clogged. Go outside and hold your hand over the dryer's exhaust vent. Is there a huge amount of air coming out? If not, the vent is clogged.

  • Heating device not coming on. Does the dryer get the clothes warm? If not, your problem is in the heating mechanism.

  • God hates you.

Note: It is possible to have a combination of the above three possibilities.

Reply to
HeyBub

First guess would be the timer broke while in the the cool down cycle.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Your no-heat issue is probably caused by an open element. The timer issue will be solved when you fix the heat issue, because the timer motor circuit is completed throught the element, solve one and you solve the other. Set a multi-meter to ohms and check between the two contacts on the element, it should read maybe 20 ohms, OL means it is open. Or, if you want to be cheap, just remove the element and gently press on the wires to see if there is a break, which will be obvious if present.

Reply to
AE Todd