Kenmore dryer timer doesn't advance

I have a Kenmore Series 90 dryer. In either the auto dry mode or the timed dry, the timer doesn't advance, at all. So the dryer continues to run. If I move it manually to Off, it stops. The heater element turns off correctly when the timer is turned to the Off position.
Before I got and drop $85 for a new timer, I'd like to know if that is the problem or if there is another component that might be bad.
Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Is there a signal coming in to the timer module telling it to advance, or does it advance all on its own?
Thanks...
Hi,

Kenmore is made by several different companies....model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html http://www.applianceaid.com/searscodes.html

Check for power to the timer motor with a volt meter, power there but no timer movement/advancing = timer problem.