Kenmore dryer smokes while running

I clean out my lint pretty regular. My wife noticed a burning smell and smoke coming from the dryer. No noise was made other than a normal dryer sound. Of course the dryer got shut off and unplugged! I've been taking it apart and looking at a possible lint plugging, I have not seen that. Now I'm wondering about components? I've ran the dryer and I don't hear anything suspicous, the only thing suspicious is the smoke of course! Something else i noticed was a "fire" went through the dryer. A fast fire because all the lint i found on the bottom of the dryer was black on top and grey on the bottom.

Reply to
Chris

do you have a pilot light?? even without one you could still get a firet from the glow plug or when the burner comes on... i have a sears, kenmore (same as a whirlpool) according to the repair manuals i had over the years.... i had to take mine into the back yard and take it apart... kept blowing the thermal fuse.. it seemed that the lint was wrapped around some senors and was letting the machine get too hot... thats why the fuse kept blowing... i took it all apart, took the blower out and the heater box(the box that goes all the way from the top to the blower wheel) and found some lint in there trapped.... might be your problem????

Reply to
jim

You mean the lint filter, dismantle the dryer and vacuum it or clean the dryer vent all the way to the outdoors?

The lint filter should be cleaned after *every* load. The dryer vent

*thoroughly* cleaned every year and the internal dryer every couple of years.

How about the dryer's vent *all the way to the outdoors*?

How the vent is installed and what material it is made from can contribute to a lint build up inside the dryer and also inside the vent itself leading to problems. You can read about dryer venting at the following link:

How long can my dryer vent be?

Even after cleaning the inside??

A lint build up will do that and is why the internal dryer should be vacuumed inside occasionally. You might also want to check for leaking internal ducting (between front panel and ducts, drum seals, drum in proper position, etc.) as that is likely where the lint inside the cabinet is coming from, possibly exasperated by a poorly install vent to the outdoors.

If it was just the lint inside the dryer that flashed over, chances are it didn't effect other components.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

smell

unplugged!

plugging, I

ran the

suspicious

went

the

Check recent postings about cleaning dryer vents and internal passages.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I don't know what you mean by "black on top, grey on bottom", or the "bottom" of the dryer. Inside the tumbler? We had a smoking dryer once

- late in the evening. Worried about going to bed and having it start up again. It made significant smoke. Called the fire department. Gas dryer. The firefighter checked the burner and found a pile of partially burnt Dog Chows. Seems the house mouse had just moved in and was stocking up for winter - this time of the year - and his stockpile burned. :o) Really.

Reply to
norminn