Kenmore Dryer exhaust pipe

I'm hooking up my parents electric dryer and the exhaust pipe from this Whirlpool manufactured unit only sticks out half an inch tops. I remember having a Whirlpool dryer 25 years ago and it had the same stupid design making it almost impossible to securly put the duct work on it and clamp it down tightly. My Maytag gas dryer has at least an inch or 2 sticking out which makes sense. Any idea why Whirlpool did it this may? When I had the problem 25 years ago, I took off the back and fed the ductwork thru and attached the clamp and put the back back on. A pain in the rear for a stupid design.

Reply to
Art

I have a Kenmore with the short exhaust and was able to hook it up without any particular trouble. Perhaps the type of external duct you are hooking it too is the real problem - some of them are so flimsy it's hard to get them to even go on the outlet, esp the wire/vinyl ones.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I am using the stretchable metal type. Not vinyl and not foil. The hose clamp is 1/2 wide which just makes it except some of the back panel of the dryer balloons out so you really don't get to have the clamp flush against the panel because the ballooned out back pushes out the portion with the adjusting screw.

Reply to
Art