Kenmore Dryer

I have a Kenmore Dryer that I had to replace the motor in. I bought a new motor off eBay, replaced it (the motor looked identical and the model/part numbers matched - motor part #279827) and put the dryer back together. Thought everything worked fine as soon as I hit the START button it fired up, but for some reason with this new motor as soon as you release the START button the dryer stops. I'm pretty sure its not the Heat Control/Timer as what are the odds of the motor and the timer going at the same time? Any ideas?

Reply to
nathan_j

Hi,

Kenmore is made by a few different companies, model#?? What was wrong with the first motor?

Probably rare!

Any wiring changes between the old and new motor? jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

I guess a bad heat thermistor.

Reply to
Matt

Hi, Does the motor has capacitor mounted on the body or elsewhere? The motor has to go from start mode to run mode. There is centrifugal switch inside motor. Maybe that switch is not triggering preventing the motor to go into run mode. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

HAHAAHAHH

I just noticed I posted a link to Jeff's own website.....

Sorry bout that, Jeff.

Reply to
Matt

Thanks for all the replies. The dryer wouldn't work and I tested all the fuses/thermal cutoffs but an article on Bob Villa.com said a motor should have high resistance. This motor had no resistance so I thought it was the motor burnt out and shorting. Replaced it and it still didn't work - turned out bad wiring in the socket of the house was to blame and there was nothing wrong with the original motor after all (guess not all motors have high resistance?). I had already purchased a new non-refundable motor off eBay so decided to keep it in the dryer (new lease of life) and keep the old motor as a spare (it was only $35).

Turns out I figured out the problem too. The wiring block onto the side of the motor faces down at a 45 degree angle. When I clipped the wiring block to the new motor, one of the terminals must not have been lined up properly, and instead of going into the wiring block it bent down, not touching. Because of the downward angle I didn't see/notice this had happened. Once I removed the motor from the dryer for the second time I noticed the bent terminal, straightened it, reassambled and everything works great now!

Reply to
nathan_j

thought

Thankx for the update, should help others! :) jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid