Kenmore dryer, 110.78932790, shuts off after start button is released.

I'm trying to help someone service this Kenmore dryer, 110.78932790, at a location where I am not. The symptom is that it shuts off the moment you release the start button. I don't have the schematic for this model and had a few questions. Does the centrifugal switch in the motor actually carry the current to the motor after startup or does it connect to another circuit that uses a power relay? If it does use a power relay, is it the common one I see on all the appliance parts sites, #3405281?
Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA
David Farber wrote:

Look here:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t181881-kenmore_110_78932790
The problem is identified as an "even heat board".
http://www.fixya.com/Uploads/Images/5BEB4B3.jpg
Part number 3402605.
This is also a very good read for you:
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/sears-kenmore/17889-my-2-87-kenmore-90-plus-series-evenheat-repair-board-3402605-a.html
If you read the above link, you might save yourself about $150. Here's what a new board costs:
============http://www.appliance-parts-experts.com/279903-electronic-control.html Dryer electronic control 279903, is used on Whirlpool, Roper, KitchenAid, and Kenmore / Sears dryers. Replaces, 3402605, PT9282867, AP3094289, PS334350, ===========
Home Guy wrote:

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/sears-kenmore/17889-my-2-87-kenmore-90-plus-series-evenheat-repair-board-3402605-a.html
Hi Home Guy,
Take a bow. You certainly hit the nail on the head with the link to that explanation. In addition to replacing the zener diodes, I would also suggest checking out the filter capacitors with an ESR meter. Those capacitors may have contributed to the failure. Hopefully my friend will be able to put the machine in factory test mode and determine the condition of the control board.
Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA
David Farber wrote:

Hi, Even if only one looks bad. Replace both Zener diode and cap. They are strained, That is what repair tech does.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Do you happen to know the value and reference number of the cap?
Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA
Tony Hwang wrote:

I removed the old diodes today and found one was shorted, while the other two were open. The caps checked good so no need to replace them. I installed the new diodes and it works fine now.
Thanks again for the tip.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA
David Farber wrote:

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/sears-kenmore/17889-my-2-87-kenmore-90-plus-series-evenheat-repair-board-3402605-a.html

Hey, it was a lucky find, but maybe it's a common problem for those dryers. Glad I could help.
The guy that performed the original fix and posted about it on that blog deserves the credit. :)
Home Guy wrote:

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/sears-kenmore/17889-my-2-87-kenmore-90-plus-series-evenheat-repair-board-3402605-a.html
I Googled that model number and problem every which way and didn't find the tip (possibly because the model numbers were different by one digit). Without it, I would have been troubleshooting for at least a couple of hours and then would have had to make a second trip to buy parts. This way, I came prepared with the parts and repaired it in under an hour.
Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA