Kenmore dishwasher spray is weak--how to remove (lower) spray arm

Hi all,
The spray in my Kenmore dishwasher has gotten pretty weak--the dishes on the lower rack get cleaned, but the glasses and stuff I put in the upper rack don't even get wet anymore.
My dishwasher has only a lower spray arm (no upper spray), and I suspect it may have gotten clogged.
How do I remove it so I can clean it thoroughly? It doesn't seem to come off by itself.
Also, could there be some other cause of the weak spray? I can't be sure, but I think the spray arm isn't spinning as well as it used to either. What could be causing THAT?
-- Steven L.

I forgot to mention: The spray arm is of the type that has this little extendable tower in the middle, that seems to pop up during the wash cycle.
-- Steven L.

run with a gallon of white vinegar and let soak for awhile
bob haller wrote:

Exactly. But with vinegar at only eighty cents a gallon, I'd dump in three or four gallons.
Also, in the future, use powdered detergent that has been fortified with 10-20% of TSP.

Maybe I should pre-rinse my dishes also. I'm accustomed to just throwing them in the dishwasher, but maybe all those bits of food are clogging up the thing.
-- Steven L.
Steven L. wrote:

Hi, Is your water hard? What is the point of running DW if plates have to be pre-rinsed.? For us organic phospate free detereget tablet work well. Maybe DW should be put thru couple cleaning cycles using vinegar or CLR.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Phosphate-free detergents do NOT work well. Perhaps they work well enough for you, but most cannot abide the hazy film left on flatware and glasses.
Steven L. wrote:

Nope, that's not it. Food particles are chopped before they're flushed out to the garbage disposal, except, maybe leg bones from a turkey.
Clean the washer with vinegar as above and add TSP to your detergent. You'll be surprised by the result.

Depends on the dishwasher. Bosch, for example, doesn't have a grinder. Instead, it has a screen/filter than has to be cleaned out. ...the reason we passed on Bosch.

Thanks. Didn't know that.

@Steve:
Two things can cause poor water flow through the nozzles in your dishwasher:
Hard Water Deposits Bio-film/Lipid Build Up
Hard water can be an issue if your local water chemistry is bad, you would know if this was the problem or not based on other water applications in your home being affected (the shower, sinks, and clothes washer).
Bio-film is actually what most people see on their dishes even when they think it looks like hard water deposits. If you don't rinse off the grease and food from your dishes it builds up on surfaces inside the dishwasher where you can't see it and becomes a soup which supports growth. This same issue causes smelly front loading washing machines as the film builds up on the outer surface of the clothes drum where you would never see it unless you took the machine apart.
You need to use some CLR in a cycle if you suspect hard water and definitely need to begin using an enzymatic dishwasher detergent which will break up the fats/greases/food proteins in your dish washer and not allow them to become deposits and create a bio-film.
~~ Evan

Has everyone forgotten about the pump?? If the water inlet to the pump or the impellers of the pump itself are crudded up with food residue, there will be low pressure,