Kenmore Dishwasher -664517 533202 Top Rack Won't Clean

Hello All- I am trying to figure out what is going on with my dishwasher - just recently my top rack of dishes does not come out any better than when I put it in.... Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again = )

Reply to
anniep

Some DW have a "jet" up the center that provides the water to the spray arm(s) for the top rack. If the top rack isnt lining up with this jet or if the lower nozzle is blocked, water wont get 'up' to the toprack. Some others have a tube feed that provides water for the upper arms...if the hose has become disconnected.. One other thing to check is that the upper spray arm(s) rotate freely. If for example, a large item in the lower rack blocks the upper arm from spinning, no "washing" will take place on the top level. Try spinning it by hand and make sure it turns freely once both racks are inside in place before closing the door

Reply to
Rudy

Quote: anniep wrote on Fri, 20 June 2008 21:54

Make sure the upper spray arm is rotating and getting water. Trace the plumbing that goes to it and look for loose connections. Can you tell if water is spraying or not?

-- Richard Thoms President - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals

topservicepros

Thank you for your response.

I disconnected the feed tube which goes up the back of the dishwasher and everything was connected tightly although with a large amt. of mineral buildup....

I did try to open the dishwasher when it was running and it did not seem that the arm was rotating - (The arm will rotate though)... But I do think the arm was getting some water because it was dripping from the edges of the arm. Awaiting your best advice =3D )

Reply to
anniep

plumbing that goes to it and look for loose connections. =A0Can you tell i= f water is spraying or not?

Thank you for your response.

I disconnected the feed tube which goes up the back of the dishwasher and everything was connected tightly although with a large amt. of mineral buildup....

I did try to open the dishwasher when it was running and it did not seem that the arm was rotating - (The arm will rotate though)... But I do think the arm was getting some water because it was dripping from the edges of the arm. Awaiting your best advice =3D )

Reply to
anniep

race the plumbing that goes to it and look for loose connections. =EF=BF=BD= Can you tell if water is spraying or not?

try removing the rotating arm, open door quickly, is there good flow?

check screen and debris collector at bottom of machine. if the pump output isnt enough the top rack doesnt clean.

Reply to
hallerb

anniep wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I've really only "dug into" a couple of DW's in depth. Assuming spray arms are similar (?), the arm had several holes in it for water to spray out, The holes were at an angle which makes the arm rotate as it sprays water. These holes over time can get clogged with crud. In your case, evidence of mineral buildup in other areas makes me think possibly mineral buildup in the spray arm holes is possible. Total or partial blockage would cause it not to spin or spin weakly.

Clean out the holes maybe with a paper clip or something. Careful not to alter/damage the holes when cleaning since they are only plastic. After clearing holes take a garden hose and shoot water in the holes backwards and forwards to clear further crud in the holes and arms.

If it is mineral deposits they will not clear easily like food particles might. They will stick to stuff hard. Vinegar dissolves calcium buildup I believe. There are also a product called CLR (dissolves calcium, lime and iron rust).

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Thank you so much for your help... But I actually had checked that when I disconnected the feed tube... Thanks again =3D )

Reply to
anniep

anniep wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

No sweat. The posting may help someone else as well.

Reply to
Red Green