Kenmore dehumidifier short-cycling

Hi everyone,

I have a Kenmore dehumidifier, model 580.53650. I believe it is manufactured by Goldstar. It's about 2 years old. I run it in my basement during the warmer months of the year.

When it is initially powered up (or restarted after emptying the bucket), the compressor and fan will run for about 5 minutes, then both shut off. After exactly 2 minutes, the compressor and fan come back on, run for about 2 1/2 minutes, then shut back off for 2 minutes. This cycle (2 minutes off, 2 1/2 minutes on) continues until the bucket is full. The fan never runs without the compressor; they're either both on, or both off. Fiddling with the humidistat has no effect. The unit behaves exactly the same regardless of the humidistat setting.

Other notes: I recently cleaned the filter and coils. I've never noticed any frost on the coils, and I've never run the dehumidifier when the room temperature was below around 70 degrees. There's also plenty of air circulation on all sides of the unit. As far as I can tell, there are no adverse operating conditions or neglected maintenance issues that would be causing it to malfunction.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Besides being annoying, this can't possibly be good for the compressor.

Thanks! Paul

Reply to
Paul Riddle

My sears is similar, but I heve a 3 or 6 hour timer built in that helps. But if its say 75% and you set it for continous it will run till

40 % then cycle , if it cycles before reaching say 40% then it it may be detecting freezing or perhaps overheating or you really dont have ventilation around the unit. Dont block the unit in. Put it in the middle of the room and see if that helps. 65 pint is large to large for my 25x25 basement. If it will run to a set point ok then cycle and your unit has no timer get a cheap lamp apliance timer so it only runs a few hour a day. I find that is all I need . Otherwise it need a repairman
Reply to
m Ransley

Probably has a 5 year warranty on the sealed unit including labor and parts.

Reply to
Art

That looks to be only part of a model number, did you get it right off the unit's model and serial number tag? The closest model I found was

580.53650200

If both the fan and compressor are shutting off at the same time, it suggests the control (ie. humidistat) is what's responsible rather than any other part. If the humidistat is not controlling the unit properly, it may be defective and need to be replaced.

However, your model doesn't appear to have a "humidistat" per se but instead is controlled electronically. What part of that control system might be responsible is anyone's guess without checking it out (as much as may be possible with these electronic controls).

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~