Kenmore 19 fridge odd noise/behavior

I have a Kenomore 19 refrigerator I purchased in 1996 from an estate sale. Model 2539639013 man. 11-94. I believe this to be a FridgidAire unit. Fridge has worked fine since installed. About once a year I will move everything into the spare in the basement and clean it and air it out for a few days. The past several years I have not been able to do this.

I did clean/unplug/air it out in Jan of this year. After about a week, I moved all the food back into it and started it up. Everything seemed fine for about two weeks. Then, Sunday night as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed it making a funny noise. The usual hum was decreasing in pitch. When I touched the compressor, it seemed to be "jumping". There was also static on the FM radio that seemed to be related to the problem. The compressor cycled on and off and seemed to be getting very hot. I finally unplugged it and moved the food downstairs into the backup fridge and coolers because I didn't want spoilage/mess/fire and it was late.

About two weeks later I put some ice in the freezer, and soda in the fridge, and fired it up. It ran fine for about 30 hours, then the problem re-occurred.

AFAICT, the fridge cools and operates normally. I put the lead from an indoor/outdoor thermometer in the fridge, and it cycled between 40?F and 35?F. Late the next day, it started making noises like the fan was running slow, the compressor started making "snapping" noises (I presume the thermal protection device) and I unplugged it.

I would suspect the compressor, but I'm wondering why this only happens sometimes. I believe that something is turning the compressor on immediately after it turns off, causing it to draw too much current.

Am I correct that the compressor should NOT turn on within a few seconds of turning off? Would the defrost cycle have something to do with this problem?

I have reasonable troubleshooting and electrical skills, but I lack knowledge of what is really in the defrost part of this unit. It has a condenser coil on the back, which I have cleaned regularly.

I would welcome any suggestions as to what might be the problem, as well as how to disassemble the unit if that is what is needed. Although I can't say this Kenmore owes me anything, it would be easier for me to fix it than replace it if it is not a problem with the sealed freon system which I am not qualified to service.

Thanks.

Reply to
Plague Boy