Keeping maintenance records

Page 1 of 2
I have been using Yahoo's calendar for years and I love it. Anything I need to remember is there permanently. I keep up with doctor's appointments, flu shots and med refills. I use it for car scheduled maintenance, and I also use it to log major appliance purchases.
I have asked Yahoo for the following two features more than once, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears.
Some of my meds of the past were based on a 28 day schedule instead of 30. I can think of a few more things that also use days instead of months. I wish you could get a reminder for x amount of days instead of weeks or months.
Another feature I would like to see is the option to attach a scanned receipt to a day so I would have warrantee information at my fingertips.
Just thinking out loud. If more people find a need for these features, more may suggest it to Yahoo.
metspitzer wrote:

MS Outlook calendar will handle most schedules, and you aren't dependent on, nor putting your personal info on someone else's system.

No, but then I am dependent on me to back up the data. A flu shot or the last time I got a water heater is not exactly CIA kind of stuff.

If you aren't backing up your data, all of your data, then either it isn't worth anything or you have more serious problems than keeping track of how old your water heater is.
I use Carbonite (http://www.carbonite.com /). For $50/year, it will back up all of the data on your PC over the internet to a secure location. It does it in the background, dynamically. If you accidentally erase a file, it will restore it in a minute or two, It keeps multiple versions of files so if you want the version you had yesterday, you can probably get it. The data is not in your house so if you get robbed or there is a fire, earthquake, flood, whatever, the data is safe. It's cheaper, faster, and safer than DVDs or tapes.
There are other online services. You really ought to get one of them.
Square Peg wrote:

No thanks on the online backup. I prefer to keep my data where I can see it.

Good luck seeing your data when the hard disk crashes, you erase or overwrite a critical file (if you even have any critical files), or any one of a number of disasters strikes. No worry, Darwin will sort it all out. :-)
Top Spin wrote:

How did you come to that conclusion from what I wrote? There are plenty of ways to implement data protection and disaster recovery without using "carbonite" or similar online services.

OK, what *is* your backup strategy / procedure?
Square Peg wrote:

I'll never trust my data to some online service.
DVDs don't really have adequate capacity for full backup purposes, and the few tape media that do have the capacity are way too expensive for home use.
The two most viable media for home off-site backup are either the portable 2.5" HDDs, or flash media be it USB drives, SD cards, etc. At least two "units" of this media in rotation, one on-site to be updated and one off-site in a safe deposit box gives you pretty secure backup.
One other possibility is using remote mirroring / replication between two locations, say between friends homes. Locate one of portable HDDs at each person's house and each replicates their data to their private disk at the other's house. The same could work with home and vacation house, home and office, etc.

Unless you are one in a million, the online service is far more reliable that you are.

Gawd (or gag). You would go to all that trouble just to avoid using an online service that would save you both time and money? Very few people will actually follow such a regimen meticulously enough to make it viable and even then it wouldn't provide dynamic backup. Carbonite backs up new files within minutes of them being created, changed files within 24 hours, and I can make it backup instantly whenever I want.
Top Spin wrote:

You don't need "carbonite" to do what you described. There is nothing magical or unique about "carbonite".

What other backup strategy offers the same combination of protection, ease of use, and cost?
There was a post on the usenet photography list, recently. An online backup company went into financial problems. The creditors took the storage equipment, and promised to reformat it, wipe all the data, and sell the equipment to pay for debts. I expect this to be far more common, and soon.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yeah, and you believe that some nut in NY dug up some golden plates buried by early inhabitants of this continent that came from the Middle East despite conclusive DNA evidence that early Americans came across the Bering Strait. This same nut then had a "revelation" that allowed him to take multiple wives. You believe that God is punishing black-skinned people because of sins they committed in the pre-existence before this world was even created and that's why the Mormon church denied them the right to hold the priesthood until another convenient "revelation" lifted the priesthood ban but curiously did not lighten their skin. You believe in marriage vows that included pledges of submission by the women to their husbands on penalty of death until recently when they were changed. Was that another "relevation"? You believe that everyone who was ever born must be baptized on this earth by proxy and that's why the Church does genealogy, yet there is no explanation for how you are ever going to get the names of all of the people for whom there are no records.
So, I plan to put a lot of weight in what you think about anything.
Top Spin wrote:

I work in the IT biz managing mission critical systems and data. That carries over to my home environment where I have more than one UPS and more than one backup generator. That online service would save neither time nor money.

Are you kidding? You can do multiple UPS and multiple backup "generators" for $50/year? You are in the wrong business. You should be selling those systems. What a joke.
All that aside, 99.99% of home users will not install and could not maintain such a system. You just made my point. Thanks.
Top Spin wrote:

The only point is on your head. UPSes and generators are in no way required for the backup methods I specified, and neither method I specified costs $50/yr. My UPSes and generators keep my system *operational* during power outages, and have nothing to do with data backup.

Well, then you can't follow a thread, so a discussion is impossible.

Gee. I was talking about a toaster receipt.

The big plus is that you still have your schedule when your PC's hard drive crashes. I have been using web mail for many years now.