Keeping grout clean

We just had our old ceramic tile taken up and replaced by new ceramic tile....its looks great but the grout color came out a little lighter than we had expected. We are planning to seal the grout using the expensive sealer, but since it is in a high traffic area we are concerned about the grout eventually darkening from dirt as there is a lot of foot traffic in that area of the home. Is there anything we can do to help preserve its original color, other than sealing it initially?
Doug and Patty
The high quality sealer you mention is your only choice. The good stuff lasts many years.
thetiler

LJ
Home Depot sells two basic types of grout sealer in plastic bottles. One is a yellowish color and the other is a dark brown (I think). The darker bottle is about double the cost of the other. It's about $15 and claims about a 20 year wear rating. Get this better quality one.
Also get an applicator bottle. It has a pointy top with bristles that look like a small paint brush. You fill this bottle and holding it upside down, you drag the brushes backwards, releasing enough sealer to fill the joint as you go. Don't get it on the tile...if you do just wipe it off. It will absorb in in about 10 minutes and be "dry" in about 1/2 hour. It takes 24 hours to fully dry before you can wash it.
If you've used a polymer based grout, one coat will do it.
thetiler