Keeping dogs out of the yard

That's what I do. Nothing wrong with sharin' the wealth.

Reply to
G Henslee

Greetings,

What does sponges in bacon grease do?

William

Reply to
William.Deans

Do you think this would work to encourage a rabbit to relocate from my city backyard? I've already started urinating around the perimeter of my detached garage, where I think it hides out, but I'd like to get the creature to leave asap so my dog stops eating its poop pellets.

Reply to
KLS

Thanks Ed. I learn something new and useful seemingly every day here on alt.home.repair

Reply to
William.Deans

The key is to find their do and throw it into the middle of the street. It confuses the dogs! Some people don't like to do this but it is the best solution and might even have the secondary effect of shamming the neighbor into controlling the dog.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Based on my experience with a half dozen rabbits over the past month, absolutely nothing dissuades them. However, my neighbor's beagle has routed a few of them and brought home a couple of results with their little heads sort of dangling.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yep, get a MUCH BIGGER dog !!!!

Reply to
anoldfart2

Put the end of your index finger on the tip of your nose, close your eyes and make a wish.

Reply to
Norminn

I'm not sure a good description is avail on the web, but Dr. Eric Berne described this as the game "Why don't you; yes but" which is abbrev. YDYB.

He therefrom developed a typology of common counterproductive social interactions, identifying these as "games". The first such game theorized was Why don't you/Yes, but in which one player (White) would pose a problem as if seeking help, and the other player(s) (Black) would offer solutions. White would point out a flaw in every Black player's solution (the "Yes, but" response), until they all gave up in frustration. The secondary gain for White was that he could claim to have justified his problem as insoluble and thus avoid the hard work of internal change; and for Black, to either feel the frustrated martyr ("I was only trying to help") or a superior being, disrespected ("the patient was uncooperative").

Incidentally, was your mother over dominating, and your father always did what he was told?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most everyone in the neighborhood has a fenced in yard. So, that means any stray gods or more likely the god next door find our yard a convenient place to do his business from time to time. I've thought of putting up a fence or even talking to the neighbor about his god. Neither idea appeals to me.

Outside of doing any thing drastic, like shooting the god, anyone have any ideas how to keep the god(s) out without putting up a barrier.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Best solution is to soak some sponges in bacon grease and feed them to the dog.

Putting some antifreeze in the dog's water will also help.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Dog will eat the sponges and possibly block his digestive tract and die.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If god's next door I'd say your troubles are just about over. If I were you, I would hesitate shooting god however...

Reply to
G Henslee

Or just lack of practical thinking.

If the neighbors with the dog are Martians who would immediately snatch him and use his blood should he come to their door for a conversation, then the next best option is to go ahead and put up that fence.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

True, true.

But that's one thing that's determined by a converstaion - no?

And, if that's the case, then one goes to other options: law enforcement if feasible (is there a leash law?), putting in that fence.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

it took me a month but I shovelled up the poop and dropped it into the dog owners driveway, after a month of this, never saw poop in my yard again

Reply to
Punch

Reply to
William.Deans

Of course, he *might* have the type of neighbor who is utterly oblivious to the generally agreed upon rules of living in a civilized way. These animals

*do* exist, and in most cases, they cannot be retrained, only controlled, much like their dogs.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

That's a disgusting thing to do. I love it! :-) Dropping it onto their windshield wipers also works nicely.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Another method I've heard recommended is to obtain some lion dung from your local zoo and spread it along the outer perimeter. This is purported to keep all dogs and cats far away.

Reply to
Gort