Keeping dogs out of the yard

Page 2 of 5
In alt.home.repair on Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:07:28 GMT "Doug Kanter"

I don't know what he they walk him to or what he does -- but he's never on a leash and he's a pitbull. I've seen him growl at a couple high school kids, who then went way out of their way around a bunch of other houses to avoid him.
I was tending a friend's dog for a day, and as I was returning home, he came out of the door. I could not yet see him but I called to his manager to "Get hold of your dog". Instead, she just called to the dog, two or three times, who ignored her. He also had no collar on either.
I was afraid to turn and go the other way, because iiuc a dog will take that as weakness and be more likely to attack.
I was also afraid to go forward because my visiting dog was unknown to this one, and I didn't want my friends to come home to an injured dog.
(Finally, it seemed like finally, I split the difference, and he didn't follow.)
Other neighbors have complained to animal control, and probably talked to the owners before they did that.
I can imagine one in the family retaliating against my car when I'm sleeping or my home when I'm away. Because anyone who doesn't bother to leash a pitbull is obviously antisocial in some ways.
Plainly I would make no progress by talking to them, and I could put myself on their hitlist, especially if someone else gets the pound to take away the dog, but I"m the one they think did it.

Any idea what, if anything, was done by the animal control people?
In alt.home.repair on Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:24:01 GMT "Doug Kanter"

I think they talked to the owner. I should have said that they, or at least the sone, walked him with a leash a couple times that I saw after that. But they still leave him out when they are out with no leash, and I think only the son puts a leash on him at all.

Sorry that you had to encounter the standard Usenet mini-flame, but your original post followed the standard formula for a spineless jellyfish posting (i.e. describe a problem with multiple, easy solutions and then one-by-one eliminate every reasonable solution). The most likely responses to such a posting are sarcasm, flames, and references to your relationship with your mother.
I'm not sure a good description is avail on the web, but Dr. Eric Berne described this as the game "Why don't you; yes but" which is abbrev. YDYB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_analysis
He therefrom developed a typology of common counterproductive social interactions, identifying these as "games". The first such game theorized was Why don't you/Yes, but in which one player (White) would pose a problem as if seeking help, and the other player(s) (Black) would offer solutions. White would point out a flaw in every Black player's solution (the "Yes, but" response), until they all gave up in frustration. The secondary gain for White was that he could claim to have justified his problem as insoluble and thus avoid the hard work of internal change; and for Black, to either feel the frustrated martyr ("I was only trying to help") or a superior being, disrespected ("the patient was uncooperative").
Incidentally, was your mother over dominating, and your father always did what he was told?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sorry, I didn't realize you may be "meeting" with his wife on occasion and don't want to spoil that.
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:00:16 GMT, in alt.home.repair RE: Keeping dogs

Try a couple of pounds of hot chili power and sprinkle liberally around the perimeter. You can get it in pound size from SAMS and maybe cheaper from a restaurant supply house. It works on a smaller scale to keep my dogs and cats out of areas I don't want them to go into.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:38:47 -0500, Vic Dura

Do you think this would work to encourage a rabbit to relocate from my city backyard? I've already started urinating around the perimeter of my detached garage, where I think it hides out, but I'd like to get the creature to leave asap so my dog stops eating its poop pellets.

Based on my experience with a half dozen rabbits over the past month, absolutely nothing dissuades them. However, my neighbor's beagle has routed a few of them and brought home a couple of results with their little heads sort of dangling.
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:00:16 +0000, Charlie S. wrote:

Yeah, god forbid you talk to the neighbor about the situation. Wouldn't want to do something that drastic, huh?
What a fucking galoot.
Linux Registered User #327951

I've seen ads for a ultrasonic pest repeller that claimed to have a setting for dogs/cats.Maybe Google would turn up something.
It might make every dog in the neighborhood howl,though.
Then there's motion detectors connected to your lawn sprinker system;every time an animal moves intot he forbidden zone,the sprinklers come on,soaking the animal.That one might be a lot of fun,especially if the owner is also in the zone. 8-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

There seems to be some things going on here that I don't know about, but here goes anyway.
If you know who's dog it is tell the owner to keep it out of your yard. Tell them to come and clean up after it or you will call Animal Control. Don't do anything to harm the dog. It's not his fault. After all, you can't blame him for not wanting to crap all over his own yard if he has a choice.
I had a problem with cats pooping on my lawn (no, I don't know who's cats they were). I got one of those motion detector spotlights and positioned it over the grass. I ran wires from one of the bulb sockets to a relay. The relay activated my automatic sprinklers. I had the motion detector light set to stay on for 5 minutes. No more cat poop on my lawn. !00% effective and I only spent about $15.
Charlie S. wrote:

middle of the street. It confuses the dogs! Some people don't like to do this but it is the best solution and might even have the secondary effect of shamming the neighbor into controlling the dog.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

That's what I do. Nothing wrong with sharin' the wealth.

Best solution is to soak some sponges in bacon grease and feed them to the dog.
Putting some antifreeze in the dog's water will also help.

Greetings,
What does sponges in bacon grease do?
William

Dog will eat the sponges and possibly block his digestive tract and die.

Thanks Ed. I learn something new and useful seemingly every day here on alt.home.repair

Yes, that many posters give out bad advice.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm sure you've killed a few mosquitoes and other bugs over the years because they annoyed you. Do you recommend it to other people?